Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Small pair gets reraised preflop by short stack (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379797)

Rotterdaum 11-16-2005 05:25 PM

Small pair gets reraised preflop by short stack

I'm not sure about my action in this situation, and I run into it several times daily.

For simplicity, you're sitting on 100 in 100 NL and villain in BB has 50.

The preflop action is not as common in full ring, but usual in 6-max.

You raise to $4 from Button/CO holding 55
SB/BB makes it $10.

Do you always fold here? Ever?

6 more to call into a stack of $40.

Folding seems bad for image. Calling seems just -EV(but very small). Disgusting situation

beavens 11-16-2005 05:27 PM

Re: Small pair gets reraised preflop by short stack

call for set value
if you miss, fold to a bet or check behind (based on reads, because you COULD fire at the pot)

PoBoy321 11-16-2005 05:29 PM

I'd say that it depends on your image and BB's playing style, but I'll make the call here sometimes if I think that he'll tilt and rebuy if I bust him with a set.

Hoopster81 11-16-2005 05:33 PM

Let it go, he doesn't have enough money to make it worth your while.

Rotterdaum 11-16-2005 05:37 PM

Main problem with folding from my perspective is that it may ruin your stealing power in the future. That consequence is not very important?

beavens 11-16-2005 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Main problem with folding from my perspective is that it may ruin your stealing power in the future. That consequence is not very important?

[/ QUOTE ]

how observant is the usual 100NL player?

bizaff 11-16-2005 05:40 PM

You're getting 9:1 on a call (14 dead + his 40 behind : 6 to call), which is pretty close to the 5/10 rule. I'd probably call unless you know he can get easily get away from overpairs when you flop a set.

Rotterdaum 11-16-2005 05:48 PM

Indeed
1:10 or better would fall under the 5/10 rule [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Isn't the rule "if it's less than 5% of effective stacks, call, if it's more than 10, FOLD, and use your judgement inbetween" for a reason? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

bizaff 11-16-2005 07:51 PM

If you don't think your "stealing power" is makes up for how close this is, then fold.

Strictly speaking, you quoted the rule correctly, but I don't believe this situation is specifically addressed by it. For example, if you had $100 stacks, you raised $5 to $6, and someone min-raised, you'd be $11 into the pot, which is greater than 10% of effective stacks. You'd still call with a pair hoping to flop a set because you're getting much better than 10:1 implied odds on your call.

I think the rule is meant to be interpreted as it applies to the odds you're getting on your call.

Komodo 11-16-2005 08:38 PM

Dont see how you can fold this. Is he the type who never reraise with high cards?