Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Texas Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Why do you play no-limit? Why do you play limit? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=407704)

12-30-2005 11:43 AM

Why do you play no-limit? Why do you play limit?

Some choose the no-limit route, some choose the limit route? Some may dabble in both. What are your reasons?

12-30-2005 12:15 PM

Re: Why do you play no-limit? Why do you play limit?

limit has higher variance- meaning you can win or lose more money than no-limit. luck is a greater factor in individual sessions than no limit.

limit games provides the fundamentals that you need to succeed in no limit. calculating outs, potodds, aggression, hand-reading- limit game stresses (and develops) these skills which is the core of the game. you will not develop to be a good poker player in general if you do not have these skills. IMO, to be a serious NL player, you HAVE to have a solid limit game as well.

pokergrader 12-30-2005 12:24 PM

Playing limit gets me more partypoints.

crunchy1 12-30-2005 12:51 PM

I believe that limit games have - and will continue to have, into the future -many more bad players than no-limit.

12-30-2005 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

limit games provides the fundamentals that you need to succeed in no limit. calculating outs, potodds, aggression, hand-reading- limit game stresses (and develops) these skills which is the core of the game. you will not develop to be a good poker player in general if you do not have these skills. IMO, to be a serious NL player, you HAVE to have a solid limit game as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my feeling too.

Regards,
Ian

12-30-2005 01:23 PM

I would agree with "noob" that you have to have a good limit game to start. But, no-limit clearly takes odds farther away from success in the game. With no-limit, it is much easier to pick up betting tells and to get inside someone's head with an "all-in". I thik the reason that limit is perceived as a weaker game is because it does hide bad players who, without the limits, would have no idea how to bet.

Gabe

12-30-2005 01:36 PM

i would think that no limit hides bad players better.. due their ability to make the postflop plays worthless by going all-in preflop.

Matt Williams 12-30-2005 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
limit has higher variance- meaning you can win or lose more money than no-limit. luck is a greater factor in individual sessions than no limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why I play Limit. Eventually, I want to play No Limit and No Limit Tourniments (when my bankroll can afford it) but you need to be better at the basics before you can do anything else. When I first started, I played both and thought they were the same. I never really understood how position was important, now I do. Playing limit has made me a much better player.

lapoker17 12-30-2005 05:04 PM

because i am a male.

12-30-2005 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some choose the no-limit route, some choose the limit route? Some may dabble in both. What are your reasons?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I can't stomach throwing 30BB into a pot and losing to a 2 outer. Thus, I play limit.
2) I can push marginal hands in limit without being force to fold a huge bluff. The highs and lows of limit seem much less extreme.