Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   reraising with AJ (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=407119)

12-29-2005 01:39 PM

reraising with AJ

1/2$ i am in the SB
i am dealt AcJs

utg calls, co calls, buttons calls, me(sb) call, BB calls

flop: AhTd6d

me checks, bb cheks, utg checks, co bets, button raises, me reraise, bb folds, utg folds, co calls, button calls

turn: 9c

me bets, co folds, button calls

river: 4c

me checks, button bets me calls.

button showed 66
me mucks AJ

Would it be better to fold the flop? Of course the answer is Yes after seing the cards...but is a bad play, as calling is out of question and i though that someone having AK, AQ, AA, KK even AT had likely raised preflop...

Ty all for your answers

Suds1381 12-29-2005 02:25 PM

Re: reraising with AJ

I think the better play is to bet out on the flop with a field of 5 players. If you get raised and reraised it's easier to fold your AJ. The flop was A106 rainbow so there was no flush draws or outside straight draws so the only reason he raises the flop is if he has a strong hand. This player on the button doesn't seem like a maniac since he only called you on the turn with a set (the only thing that could beat him was a higher set) so you probably could have gotten a read on him earlier.

Paradigm 12-29-2005 02:27 PM

I agree -- I'd bet the flop, then if CO raises and button reraises, you can drop the hand.

12-29-2005 05:41 PM

the flop wasnt rainbow but i can see that it was a bet/fold situation i decided to go on raising to make draws pay...

12-29-2005 05:59 PM

Raise preflop ?!

Weatherhead03 12-29-2005 06:05 PM

I would raise PF and bet out the flop.

12-29-2005 06:14 PM

Raising Preflop isn't really that hot...

12-29-2005 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising Preflop isn't really that hot...

[/ QUOTE ]

No? 1/2$, 3 limpers. I would say we have a pretty big edge with a hand thats very easy to play postflop even oop.

12-29-2005 06:17 PM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

12-29-2005 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would definitely NOT raise preflop. We're raising out of position into a pot of 4 players, what do we hope to accomplish? Since our hand doesn't have that large of an edge preflop, buliding the pot doesn't seem like a great idea, especially with our relative position. If we do flop a pair, we'd like to keep the pot small here IMO. If it was suited, I'd definitely raise. In this situation I think a call is more than warranted.

And if I'm wrong, please correct me. What is our edge against 4 limpers?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my thought on the matter aswell...