Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Redskins vs Giants (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=404028)

Crveballin 12-23-2005 12:46 PM

Redskins vs Giants

Well I was wrong Last Game Prediction, but this time I think the Skins pull a win out of the hat. I was at the Dallas game last week and will be in attendance for the Giants game Saturday.

FedEx was loud. 92,000 people screaming loud. Much like the environment in Seattle where they forced the Giants to 13 false start penalties. Along with Eli's struggles on the road, all the Skins have to do is shutdown Tiki. Of course thats a lot easier said then done when the guy ran for over 220 on us last time.

This is a huge game for the Skins. We win, a Dallas, Minn, and Atlanta loss clinches playoffs for us. Ha.

andyfox 12-23-2005 01:08 PM

Re: Redskins vs Giants

Should be an interesting game in that some weeks both teams look like the best team in the league and other weeks they can't put their socks on. Hard to imagine the Redskins winning, though, after the 35-0 slaughter the first time. Manning, IMO, has been just terrible the last few weeks, I suppose he's overdue for a good game. The Giants still need to win a game to guarantee getting into the post-season, so one would think they'd be up for this game, despite the fact that they get the Raiders next week.

Strange seeing all those NFL games scehduled for Saturday, isn't it?

Crveballin 12-23-2005 01:25 PM

Yeah it is strange. I like it because it gives me more days to watch the NFL.

Suprisingly the Redskins are favorites at -3 in this game. After losing 35-0 I dont know how you can make them the favorites. Hopefully the skins routing of Dallas wont be followed by a routing themselves (Same as after 49ers game).

12-23-2005 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah it is strange. I like it because it gives me more days to watch the NFL.

Suprisingly the Redskins are favorites at -3 in this game. After winning 35-7 I dont know how you can make them the favorites. Hopefully the skins routing of Dallas wont be followed by a routing themselves (Same as after 49ers game).

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP (?) If the Skins just routed Dallas, shouldn't they be the favorites at home?

As a New York Football Giants fan, I'm not too thrilled going to Washington, esp. after that embarrassment they laid on the Cowboys (How 'bout them Cowboys?) WAS is looking to sneak into the playoffs since they have tiebreaks over DAL, and probably looking for payback after the first meeting. Still, the Giants may want to clinch the division here and show up big for this game. They're coming off the KC win and have a three game win streak (so does WAS, but the first two were against ARI and STL.) WAS -3 sounds about right (but I'd pick the Giants.)

Looks to be a helluva game.

ScottieK

andyfox 12-23-2005 09:25 PM

Washington being favored strikes me as silly. I gues the berros like the Skins at home. But their opponent is two games better than them in the standings and beat them 35-0 not that many weeks ago. As inconsistnet as they are, I think the Giants are a great bet.

Then again, that probably means load up the other way; I'm the anti-tout.

Tyler Durden 12-23-2005 11:06 PM

I'm going to the game also. FedEx Field will be LOUD. Hopefully the crowd noise throws off the Giants. I think they committed 11 false start penalties in Seattle, not sure.

Maybe the Skins should put 8 in the box and force Eli Manning to beat them. Unfortunately, I think he could do that. Antonio Pierce is out for tomorrow, that's good. Why did the Skins let him go, especially to a division rival? Greg Williams' scheme does not rely on superstars but re-signing him to keep him from going to the Giants was reason enough for me.

Macdaddy Warsaw 12-23-2005 11:33 PM

Elisha should just throw to whomever Walt Harris is covering.

Crveballin 12-24-2005 08:37 PM

Yeah baby. Skins over the Giants. Eli sucks away from home as predicted. The skins D shutdown Tiki as well. All around great game to go to. A win at Philly and we are in. Should be an easier win than the last two seeing they are going up against Philly's practice squad.

TomHimself 12-24-2005 09:14 PM

bad officiating

Tyler Durden 12-24-2005 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bad officiating

[/ QUOTE ]

call the waaaaaahmbulance and eat some cheese cries

12-24-2005 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bad officiating

[/ QUOTE ]

call the waaaaaahmbulance and eat some cheese cries

[/ QUOTE ]

One could say that about your continued moaning about the Giants having 9 home games.

Crveballin 12-24-2005 10:24 PM

There was bad calls on both sides. In the end the Redskins still outplayed the Giants bottom line.

VarlosZ 12-25-2005 01:17 AM

Will Allen lost this game almost single-handedly. He got beat badly on both Moss TDs, and on the 1st Quarter bomb, and he was out of position on Portis' 20-yard TD run around left the end.

And also . . . look: the Redksins did outplay the Giants today, but the officiating was very poor. I haven't complained about lopsided refereeing against the Giants since that [censored] [censored] pass interference call in that playoff game against the Rams in '89, but this was bad.

McGahee 12-25-2005 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And also . . . look: the Redksins did outplay the Giants today, but the officiating was very poor. I haven't complained about lopsided refereeing against the Giants since that [censored] [censored] pass interference call in that playoff game against the Rams in '89, but this was bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hadn't complained about officiating in 16 years, but chose to do so in a game they lost by 15 points? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

VarlosZ 12-25-2005 05:52 AM

That might have been a slight exaggeration, but I literally cannot remember the last time I complained about a game (not just individual calls) being poorly officiated against my team, except for that Rams game. My point is that I'm usually the guy talking about how bad calls break both ways, but not today.

The margin of defeat is irrelevant, since I'm not saying that the refs cost them the game.

12-25-2005 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That might have been a slight exaggeration, but I literally cannot remember the last time I complained about a game (not just individual calls) being poorly officiated against my team, except for that Rams game. My point is that I'm usually the guy talking about how bad calls break both ways, but not today.

The margin of defeat is irrelevant, since I'm not saying that the refs cost them the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about at the end of the playoff game against SF a few years ago on the blown FG? You know the idiot who missed the pass interference call on that play is now a ref.

12-25-2005 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You hadn't complained about officiating in 16 years, but chose to do so in a game they lost by 15 points? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

A few people have said stuff like this, and I don't understand it. The positions are not mutually exclusive. Yes, the Redskins handed the Giants their heads yesterday, and yes the officiating did not cost the Giants the game. But the officiating against them was absolutely atrocious. There's no conflict between the two. As long as a Giants' fan acknowledges the obvious -- that the Redskins beat the crap out of the Giants, just as the Giants did to them several weeks back -- there is no shame in complaining about the brutal officiating in my opinion.

Personally, I think Walt Coleman is a bad referee to begin with; I said so much to my father-in-law at the beginning of the game. And he didn't let me down. I just wish the league would do something to improve the officiating -- and I don't know what that is, except to get rid of these ridiculous roughing the passer calls.

Dudd 12-25-2005 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about at the end of the playoff game against SF a few years ago on the blown FG? You know the idiot who missed the pass interference call on that play is now a ref.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the receiver was actually a tackle illegally downfield, so it wasn't interference since he wasn't an eligible receiver anyways.

Dudd 12-25-2005 01:42 PM

Oh, and for those who hate Walt Coleman, here's a page that has all sorts of quotes from the media about his incompetence over the years. Funny thing is, I wasn't even searching for it, I was looking for the official NFL rulebook on pass interference so that I could be sure that it only applied to eligible receivers, and it was like the third entry on google for NFL rulebook pass interference. Too funny.

http://www.provencehome.org/refsuck/...ltcoleman.html

12-25-2005 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the receiver was actually a tackle illegally downfield, so it wasn't interference since he wasn't an eligible receiver anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the guy that got interfered with (Rich Seubert) was eligible. There was another idiot (Tam Hopkins) who was ineligible downfield. It should have been offsetting penalties and a replay of the down.

12-25-2005 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah baby. Skins over the Giants. Eli sucks away from home as predicted. The skins D shutdown Tiki as well. All around great game to go to. A win at Philly and we are in. Should be an easier win than the last two seeing they are going up against Philly's practice squad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind the Jints were badly banged up in this game. Yes, the Skins outplayed the Giants, and no, I'm not going to say that they wouldn't have won if the officiating had been better (the officiating was awful, and the mistakes heavily favored the skins), but it's remiss to just ignore the fact that the Giants are missing a number of their best players.

I just wouldn't get too frothy over a home win in a must-win against the giants in the condition they're in. They're playing without their top two offensive linemen and their top two linebackers, plus they're missing a starting defensive tackle and a starting cornerback. I would say those injuries are fairly significant.

If the giants have at least some of those injured guys on the field and the officiating is quasi-decent, the game would have ended differently.

We saw what happened to the Skins when they took on the Giants with most of their lineup healthy. It was an absolute massacre.

McGahee 12-25-2005 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A few people have said stuff like this, and I don't understand it. The positions are not mutually exclusive. Yes, the Redskins handed the Giants their heads yesterday, and yes the officiating did not cost the Giants the game. But the officiating against them was absolutely atrocious. There's no conflict between the two. As long as a Giants' fan acknowledges the obvious -- that the Redskins beat the crap out of the Giants, just as the Giants did to them several weeks back -- there is no shame in complaining about the brutal officiating in my opinion.

Personally, I think Walt Coleman is a bad referee to begin with; I said so much to my father-in-law at the beginning of the game. And he didn't let me down. I just wish the league would do something to improve the officiating -- and I don't know what that is, except to get rid of these ridiculous roughing the passer calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just think refs screw up every game. Unless it makes a difference in the outcome, I don't understand the point of complaining about it.
I agree that Walt Coleman sucks. I think he counts against the Patriots salary cap.