Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   quote from Walter Sinnott Armstrong-atheist (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=395268)

Jeff V 12-09-2005 11:09 PM

quote from Walter Sinnott Armstrong-atheist

The book "God? A Debate Beyween A Christian And An Atheist"
PP 83

"My arguments will not be proofs in the mathematical sense. I don’t see how there can be any absolutely conclusive proof about God, that He exists, or doesn’t. There is not much, if anything, of any importance that one can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt. So I won’t even try to give a conclusive proof. What I will give is adequate proof against the existence of God."

Doesn't this argument go against the request for "proof" requested by many atheists regardig the existance of God?

chezlaw 12-09-2005 11:10 PM

Re: quote from Walter Sinnott Armstrong-atheist

[ QUOTE ]
The book "God? A Debate Beyween A Christian And An Atheist"
PP 83

"My arguments will not be proofs in the mathematical sense. I don’t see how there can be any absolutely conclusive proof about God, that He exists, or doesn’t. There is not much, if anything, of any importance that one can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt. So I won’t even try to give a conclusive proof. What I will give is adequate proof against the existence of God."

Doesn't this argument go against the request for "proof" requested by many atheists regardig the existance of God?

[/ QUOTE ]
which athiests have requested proof regardig the existance of god?

chez

BluffTHIS! 12-09-2005 11:37 PM

Way to play right into David's hands.

imported_luckyme 12-09-2005 11:43 PM

I'm trying to conceive of what a proof of god, that could be posted to an internet forum, would consist of .

12-10-2005 01:01 AM

http://www.actarus.it/trash/watson/B...t_footage3.jpg

there He is!

Lestat 12-10-2005 01:55 AM

<font color="blue"> "Doesn't this argument go against the request for "proof" requested by many atheists regardig the existance of God? "</font>

Atheists request proof of a god because there are people in this world who claim that gods exists.

Why anyone would request proof that gods do NOT exist is something I'll never understand.

Jeff V 12-10-2005 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> "Doesn't this argument go against the request for "proof" requested by many atheists regardig the existance of God? "</font>

Atheists request proof of a god because there are people in this world who claim that gods exists.

Why anyone would request proof that gods do NOT exist is something I'll never understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your logic is good enough reason to believe that god doesn't exist? Why can't it work bothways?

chezlaw 12-10-2005 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So your logic is good enough reason to believe that god doesn't exist? Why can't it work bothways?

[/ QUOTE ]
It does work both ways that's why most athiest don't believe that god doesn't exist, they just don't believe they he does.

In neither case does it make much sense to demand proof of the non-existence of something.

chez

12-10-2005 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's much easier to prove(*) that something exists (for our common understanding of the term, anyway) than that it doesn't exist. I can SHOW you something to prove(*) that it exists, but just because I can't find it to show it to you, doesn't mean it doesn't exist... SOMEWHERE in the universe. That's why I think it's rational for the burden of proof(*) to be on the person claiming that something exists. Also, there are a lot more things that don't exist than that do exist, so it's also a lot more practical to show what does exist than to show all the things that don't exist.

(*) "Prove" doesn't mean 100% logical/mathematical proof -- there is no such thing in the real world. A "proof" is sufficient evidence to warrant the belief, which varies based on the normalcy of the claim.

hmkpoker 12-10-2005 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Null hypothesis. Same reason we don't believe in the FSM.