Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Omaha, stud, & little green book feedback wanted (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=375809)

beekeeper 11-10-2005 04:03 PM

Omaha, stud, & little green book feedback wanted

I did try to search on this, so sorry if I'm rehashing old news. I'm looking for a good book on <font color="blue"> Omaha Hi Lo</font> , and would welcome any recommendations.

If you've read any of these can you let me know which, if any, are good? Thanks.

<ul type="square"> Paul Kammen's How to Beat Low Limit 7 Card Stud Poker
Skalsky's Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players
Ray Zee's High-Low Split Poker, Seven-Card Stud and Omaha 8 or better
Phil Gordon's Little Green Book[/list]

cwsiggy 11-10-2005 07:09 PM

Re: Omaha, stud, & little green book feedback wanted

[ QUOTE ]
Phil Gordon's Little Green Book

[/ QUOTE ]

Great book. Mostley tourney related, but some cash game use.
One you can turn to any page for a "refresher" lesson.

11-10-2005 08:44 PM

I think the Ray Zee book is pretty decent for Omaha8 - certainly better than anything else I've seen. It doesn't have noddy stuff like starting hand charts but those are easy enough to find on the web.

And I like the Little Green Book as well.

steamboatin 11-10-2005 08:48 PM

Ray Zee's book is excellent.

I just finished Winning Omaha/8 by Tenner &amp; Krieger and it was easy to read and very basic. I think after I get some more experience, I will consider it to be weak tight but I don't have enough expeience in Omaha to be certain.

I have how to win at Omaha/8 by Mike Cappeletti (spelling?). I have read about three chapters and it is hard to read and not very clear so far.

Did I mention Ray Zee's book is really good?

I am looking for a copy of Bob Ciaffone's Omaha book but it is out of print and hard to find.

beekeeper 11-13-2005 02:23 AM

I borrowed Ciaffone's book--it only has one chapter on Omaha High Low if I recall correctly. It's the only book I've read on Omaha, so I don't know how it compares to others. Thanks for the recommendations.

greatwhite 11-13-2005 03:06 PM

I've heard some pretty bad things said about Kammen's 7cs book, but all of the Advanced Players series are worth every penny and more. I have not read Phil Gordan's book, but I plan on buying it.

amulet 11-14-2005 12:41 AM

if your not advanced i recommend the following;
ray zee's high-low-split poker has a good omaha section. the omaha/8 section in ss2 is good for a short section (better then the pot limit section). winning omaha/8 poker is good, but could have used a good editor (very repetitive). read these 3 books and you will be off to a good start. while the zee book is the best written, i would probably read it last, the other two have longer sections for those who do not know the game.

amulet 11-14-2005 12:45 AM

Paul Kammen's How to Beat Low Limit 7 Card Stud Poker -i have not read this, but there are other 7 card stud books that are terrific. do you want suggestions?
Skalsky's Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players - terrific book.
Ray Zee's High-Low Split Poker, Seven-Card Stud and Omaha 8 or better - terrific book.
Phil Gordon's Little Green Book - better then i expected. a fun read. not a definitive work on Nl, but most players will pick up a few things, or at least have a few helpful things reiterated.

Andy B 11-19-2005 03:34 PM

The best book I've seen on O/8 is Ray Zee's book. It has everything that you'll ever need to beat most games. The stud/8 section is excellent and has paid my rent a few times over the years.

7CS4AP is outstanding if you ignore the various typos and such.

I don't recommend the Kammen book. I posted a bit about it here

I haven't read the Gordon book yet.