Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Why does the MRS pay $28 to get the dog's haircut and go him a sweater (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=162497)

steamboatin 12-15-2004 06:45 PM

Why does the MRS pay $28 to get the dog\'s haircut and go him a sweater

Off topic but I struggle for understanding.

Bukem_ 12-15-2004 08:09 PM

Re: Why does the MRS pay $28 to get the dog\'s haircut and go him a swe

If it wasn't for the Mrs. your dog would be cold and would need a haircut.

Demana 12-15-2004 09:36 PM

Re: Why does the MRS pay $28 to get the dog\'s haircut and go him a sweater

If you were meant to understand women, you would be gay.

Bremen 12-16-2004 01:01 AM

Other, you obviously make too much money and she is struggling to find ways to spend it.

My roomie thinks its because she's compensating for a lack of children. Personally I'd get a cat ;0)

rusellmj 12-16-2004 01:10 AM

To be frank, it's because she knows a sucker who will pay the bill.
Russ

steamboatin 12-16-2004 06:29 AM

I don't pay for dog related expenses.

We don't have kids so the room mate might be right.

fnord_too 12-16-2004 12:23 PM

Different people have different utility functions. You just have to accept that not everyone values things the way you do. Hell, I buy books knowing that the likelihood I will ever make it to them is slim at best (because my reading list is so friggin long, and only gets longer).

It is usually futile to try to apply rationality to emotion, if it makes her happy to do such (IMO) silly things, you just have to accept it. (I mean really, when you start to analyze it, how is this different from say paying to go to a sporting event or the movies or anything "fun".)

Loci 12-16-2004 01:42 PM

To UNDERSTAND the MRS, You must think LIKE the MRS...
Your wife is a capitalist, as are we all, and while she is spending this money out of her own pocket, she is getting a reciprocation out of it. While men often tend to put more value on use(although not always, ladies!), women often put more emphasis on sign-exchange value. She is not spending the money for the sole reason of keeping the dog warm, she's spending it for the comments that her friends will give her on it's cuteness, and therefore elevate her psychologically in esteem and potentially elevate their opinion of her and her sense of taste. It is, in many ways, the reason we(men) get cars that are far too powerful for our practical needs. We get a sense of pride from the 64 1/2 mustang with a big block. We don't need it, it does nothing for us that a 85 honda civic couldn't do(theoretically), but for those same reasons of sign-exchange value, we want it.
-Just be glad that the hair cut and sweater didn't cost fifty grand.
Take care,
Ez

steamboatin 12-16-2004 02:43 PM

Thst makes a lot of sense. Her buddies all have dogs and they buy christmas presents and label them from Spike or whatever to Fritz and She buys presents for their dogs from Fritz. Our dog has received Christmas cards.

While I didn't vote for option #1 I gave it serious consideration. Sorry, Her buddy's dog isn't Spike, its Winston.

RydenStoompala 12-17-2004 09:15 AM

Same reason they do most things that they do, because the Dark Overlord of the Universe, Supreme Commander of Females, ordered it done.