Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Where is the easiest place to make a living from poker. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=43021)

lunchmeat 08-21-2003 11:22 PM

Where is the easiest place to make a living from poker.

I've been told the cardrooms around Los Angeles have the softest games. Is this the best city for a grinder to live in, or are other cities a better bet?

Some history: I am just now feeling confident that I can actually succeed at making my living from online poker, but with the possibility of the US government killing online poker I feel I have to be prepared to switch from the online game to the B&M game. I'm currently living outside Boston and I know this is definitely not the place for real life poker. My lease is up in September and I'm willing to move anywhere people speak English.

Mikey 08-21-2003 11:24 PM

Re: Where is the easiest place to make a living from poker.

overseas is the best place to make money from what I hear, Poker is just making its way over there,

(EUROPE)

lefty rosen 08-22-2003 01:01 AM

La is the best city with legal action, but it's very expensive to live there. All of California is very expensive, so you will have to play I would say minimum 20/40 to have a decent lifestyle......

Ed Miller 08-22-2003 04:47 AM

The games in LA are absurdly soft. The games in Vegas are much tougher by comparison. But Vegas is also much cheaper by comparison. Why aren't life's decisions ever clear-cut and simple?

baggins 08-22-2003 06:11 AM

let's see...

middle of the Nevada desert?

vs.

So.Cal. beaches, So.Cal. women, So.Cal. weather...

seems pretty clear cut to me?

Ed Miller 08-22-2003 07:27 AM

While Vegas doesn't have any beaches, I think you are severely underestimating the women and the weather.

whiskeytown 08-22-2003 08:43 AM

If I could do anything, I'd go to Canada and play online

for one thing, it sounds like they don't tax winnings - that's the ultimate [censored] rake....beat that, and you're home free.

RB

pokerlover 08-22-2003 09:35 AM

Yeah but all those hookers!

Kurn, son of Mogh 08-22-2003 09:40 AM

Canada, Australia & New Zealand all do not tax gambling winnings if you aren't a pro. All have much higher tax rates than the US on normal earnings, especially at low to medium income levels.

If I were going to leave the US to play poker, I'd choose Costa Rica. Lower cost of living, more relaxed pace of life, etc., providing I could get a fast enough internet connection.

Kurn, son of Mogh 08-22-2003 09:42 AM

What! No more hookers in LA??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]