Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Weak-tight with QQ on a K-high flop, or standard? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=197414)

gvibes 02-17-2005 01:41 AM

Weak-tight with QQ on a K-high flop, or standard?

UTG was 61/10/1 after 150 hands
Button was 44/9/2.2 after only 32 hands

So, they're both pretty fishy.

I suppose I should have either:
a) folded to the flop raise (this would definitely be weak-tight, right? - or at least weak-tight given my fishy reads)
b) 3-bet the flop and led the turn
c) called down

I'm pretty sure that I had settled on c, until I faced two cold on the river.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (7 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, Button checks.

River: (7 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

DMBFan23 02-17-2005 01:50 AM

Re: Weak-tight with QQ on a K-high flop, or standard?

sup gvibes,

folding to this flop raise would definitely be wrong, you have odds to chase the T. with that flop and this many players, I probably wouldn't call a turn or river bet. if he was raising a flush draw, which is not likely, then good for him.

gvibes 02-17-2005 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sup gvibes,

folding to this flop raise would definitely be wrong, you have odds to chase the T. with that flop and this many players, I probably wouldn't call a turn or river bet. if he was raising a flush draw, which is not likely, then good for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking back at it tonight, I missed the gutshot straight draw, though I think I recognized it at the time.

I suppose I have to fold to any turn action or river action, given that any K or J beats me.

Chris Daddy Cool 02-17-2005 02:10 AM

i wouldn't fold the turn, you likely have 6 outs.

gvibes 02-17-2005 01:38 PM

That would be an awfully thin call on the turn, I think. Assuming UTG bets, and I close the action, I'm getting 9:1... Meh, it's really close.

UTG turned over Q3, Button A9 (no flush draws), and my hand would have been good.

I feel like I fold too many winning hands, so I'm looking for places I should be calling down. I don't see how I could have called down here, though.

Entity 02-17-2005 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That would be an awfully thin call on the turn, I think. Assuming UTG bets, and I close the action, I'm getting 9:1... Meh, it's really close.

UTG turned over Q3, Button A9 (no flush draws), and my hand would have been good.

I feel like I fold too many winning hands, so I'm looking for places I should be calling down. I don't see how I could have called down here, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

9:1 is plenty with 6 outs homie.

Rob

gvibes 02-17-2005 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's without discounting those outs at all (i.e. someone may have the made straight, and a 10 would only split, or someone has j10, and a ten makes a boat). I think it would be a call, but it's close.

Entity 02-17-2005 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's without discounting those outs at all (i.e. someone may have the made straight, and a 10 would only split, or someone has j10, and a ten makes a boat). I think it would be a call, but it's close.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the event you're up against a made straight, your Q outs are HUGE. Even when one of your outs is gone, giving you a 5-outer, this is an easy call. But with 6 outs, 2 of them most assuredly to the nuts and the other 4 often to the nuts (keep in mind, holding two Q's, the relative rarity that you'll be splitting the pot here), this is easy cheesey japaneesy.

Rob

gvibes 02-17-2005 02:31 PM

Thanks monkey-man!