Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I Don't Know Enough to be a Winning Player (QUIZ) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403864)

x2ski 12-23-2005 02:51 AM

I Don\'t Know Enough to be a Winning Player (QUIZ)

See Here

I scored an 81, but I feel it may be contestable.

What do we think of this Slotboom feller?

jason_t 12-23-2005 02:52 AM

Re: I Don\'t Know Enough to be a Winning Player (QUIZ)

We think he's a weak/tight douchebag.

flytrap 12-23-2005 02:54 AM

This may be the same quiz that was posted some time back. Don't worry about having a low score on this. I think Ed Miller reported having taken this test, and scoring fairly low. I wouldn't use Slotbloom as the barometer of limit hold'em skill.

x2ski 12-23-2005 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know.

12-23-2005 03:08 AM

So if I scored fairly highly on the test I'm likely too weak/tight...? I got a 90.

flytrap 12-23-2005 03:10 AM

I wouldn't read much into results of this. Your play may be fine regardless of your score.

jason_t 12-23-2005 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not joking. He's terrible. He advocates just calling with AK. The guy is a joke.

W. Deranged 12-23-2005 03:13 AM

Oh my god hurl...

I remember taking that a while back, and getting frustrated by it because I couldn't score well.

Now I just realize he's wrong about a whole lot.

Thinks he advocates:

1. Folding AKs out of the SB to a pro. UTG open-raiser.

2. Folding JJ pre-flop to an EP raise and a cold-call.

3. Not-raising a rivered nut flush with a bet in front of you and 3 players left to act behind you.

4. Not three-betting AdKd on a JdTdx flop (he REALLY doesn't understand the math of that situation... not three-betting there is a big error in my opinion).

The quiz is crap. Don't pay any attention to it.

beenben 12-23-2005 03:21 AM

do the replies to this thread mean that the worse your score, the better you are? I got a 78. I said raise or re-raise to every question.

theTourne 12-23-2005 03:39 AM

Wow, he's awful. The arrogant comments at the end are the best part.

x2ski 12-23-2005 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not joking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither am I.

I'm genuinely glad to hear you say that.

davet 12-23-2005 03:43 AM

Wow, you scored a 78? I got a 71!

Anybody score lower?

mikeyvegas 12-23-2005 03:43 AM

6) You're in the small blind, holding Ah Ks. Seat # 2 has raised, everybody has folded. What do you do?

fold (7 points)

call (5 points)

raise (4 points)

Best Answer: fold

The raiser figures to have a high pair or AK as well (remember, he's a professional player raising under the gun). Why get involved when your hand is an underdog to begin with? You don't know where you're at in the hand: if you flop a king, you might lose a lot of money; if you flop an ace when the raiser has in fact a wired pair, you might not get any action; if you flop nothing but he doesn't have anything either he might outplay you and make you lay down the best hand.
7) Same situation. This time you hold Ah Kh. What do you do?

fold (7 points)

call (6 points)

raise (4 points)

Best Answer: fold

The fact that your hand is suited isn't really important here. If your call induces a call by the big blind, then your hand might be playable. However, folding is still the best option: why invest a lot of money when there's nothing in the pot, out of position when you know your opponent has a real hand?

O rly?

http://www.orlyowl.com/blankrly.jpg

milesdyson 12-23-2005 03:50 AM

read bolded sections.

You're in the big blind with Ah 3h. There have been no raises, five people see the flop Td 8h 5h. You have checked and called the flop (seat # 4 has been the bettor) and all four remaining players have checked the turn (Ks). A third heart comes on the river (9h) and the small blind comes out betting. What do you do?

fold (2 points)

call (8 points)

raise (6 points)

Best Answer: call

This is a good time to go for the overcall. The players behind you must have made something (small flush, straight) with the nine, hands that might be good enough for one, but not for two bets. The small blind might be bluffing, might fold against your raise or, if you get reraised, your hand might not even be good.

lolololololololololololol donk donk donk donk

12-23-2005 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh my god hurl...

I remember taking that a while back, and getting frustrated by it because I couldn't score well.

Now I just realize he's wrong about a whole lot.

Thinks he advocates:

1. Folding AKs out of the SB to a pro. UTG open-raiser.

2. Folding JJ pre-flop to an EP raise and a cold-call.

3. Not-raising a rivered nut flush with a bet in front of you and 3 players left to act behind you.

4. Not three-betting AdKd on a JdTdx flop (he REALLY doesn't understand the math of that situation... not three-betting there is a big error in my opinion).

The quiz is crap. Don't pay any attention to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deranged, I agree with all your points except #3. With the nut flush on the river and 3 people to act after us, I actually think the hero will make more money in the long run by just calling and going for overcalls. The reason I say this is becuz the river was such a great card, being the 9h on a T8xx board. Which means there will be more calling hands than usual, but they may not be hands than can coldcall two BB's on the river. Another thing I like about just calling on the river is that there will be times that it will get raised behind by either a straight or a lower flush and then we can 3 bet it.

If however I am in the type of game with really bad players that will still cold call 2bets with the same hands they wouldve called for 1 bet, then I would raise the river.

Overall though, I think this is a terrible quiz, and I feel very secure inside knowing that someone like Rolf can still beat this game even with all this flawed knowledge.

theTourne 12-23-2005 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, Dave:

[ QUOTE ]
You haven't grasped the essence of playing hold'em yet. Practice some more on the computer (software / free tournaments), buy some books and play low-limit hold'em only, because you're not ready to step up yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

12-23-2005 04:09 AM

I agree that this guy is weak as hell. The quiz also gives you 2 points for the obvious wrong answer.

You have 77 and flop middle set. 2pts for the check/fold.

And folding AKs in the SB just because a pro raised UTG? He's gonna go like Broomcorn's uncle.

I scored an 81. I just went back and clicked fold on every answer for fun and scored a 77.

davet 12-23-2005 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, Dave:

[ QUOTE ]
You haven't grasped the essence of playing hold'em yet. Practice some more on the computer (software / free tournaments), buy some books and play low-limit hold'em only, because you're not ready to step up yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

shant 12-23-2005 04:18 AM

SLOTBOOM SHALAKLAK BOOM

Edit: shant. Adding no content to threads since 2004.

roueful 12-23-2005 04:19 AM

Remember, you can always get two points for folding! So play it safe, kids!

flair1239 12-23-2005 04:43 AM

He responded to this like over a year ago. I think he admitted that he was wrong on many things and has since changed his ways.

flair1239 12-23-2005 04:46 AM

Seriously almost the same thread over a year ago. Rolf responded and all the small stakes experts at that time who made fun of him felt like pricks... because he is actually a nice guy who has an open mind.

12-23-2005 05:20 AM

i agree w/ going for overcalls! 3 ppl left behind you to act. y reraise w/ the nuts? I also think the author is a very attractive man, whom i would date for $$, b/c he must make a lot according to his skill in poker.

ackid 12-23-2005 05:34 AM

Slutbutt Sucks!!!

Quote of the month "I dont believe in blind stealing".

What a douche!!

Adam22 12-23-2005 05:49 AM

i figured out half way through that the lesson of that quiz was "FIND A FOLD, SOMEHOW. JUST DON'T PLAY THE HAND AND IF YOU DO DON'T RAISE" and managed to get an 89 which apparently still means i need to master hold em. LOL.

also the part where he says your nut flush on an unpaired board might not be good is pretty lol.

SackUp 12-23-2005 07:06 AM

So do we ever get to play a hand or see a SD??

This guy is the ultimate weak-tight douche of the century. He cannot make money at $10-20 with this douchery

mbk808 12-23-2005 09:06 AM

4) You're in the big blind with Ah 3h. There have been no raises, five people see the flop Td 8h 5h. You have checked and called the flop (seat # 4 has been the bettor) and all four remaining players have checked the turn (Ks). A third heart comes on the river (9h) and the small blind comes out betting. What do you do?
fold (2 points)

call (8 points)

raise (6 points)

Best Answer: call

I just played a similar hand last night, SB bet out on the river, MP1 folds, CO calls, I raise on the button, SB re-raises, CO folds, I cap. SB flips over Ah3h, I show 6h7h for the straight flush. Read the board boys.

crunchy1 12-23-2005 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do we think of this Slotboom feller?

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">"I don't believe in trying to steal the blinds a lot."</font>

I think he sucks! (I scored a disputable 79)

mtdoak 12-23-2005 09:50 AM

Holy weak tight batman. The table he is describing is a great 10/20, 5-6 people to the flop.

He advocates:

Folding JJ against a raise and a call in LP.

Folding AK against a 'professional' who raised UTG in the SB.

Folding AJ against a EP raise from the BB

Calling two bets cold with AdKd when the flop comes JdTdx instead of raising

Mucking the flop getting 8-1 with midpair+BD flush draw and closing action.

MRBAA 12-23-2005 10:00 AM

Wow is he weak tight. He has you folding AK to an utg preflop raiser and folding AJ when you are utg. Ugh.

thejameser 12-23-2005 10:36 AM

that quiz should come with a disclaimer. i never thought about folding AKo and AKs from the blinds before i took it(or since i took it, for that matter).

Dagger78 12-23-2005 12:36 PM

a 92,

I think a few of the explainations are questionable.

For example the flat call with the Royal draw?

Folding Jacks with a bettor and caller?

Flat calling the river with the nut flush?

Are these all correct at the game described?

Dagger78 12-23-2005 12:37 PM

At a tight agressive game with decent players, one pro, one LAG and one Weak-tight player, folding AJo UTG is probably the correct play.

tolbiny 12-23-2005 12:49 PM

I got a 79- i need to practice more before i get into real games.

"i must say, i think you play well. a video next time would be good if you find it easy. but i think maybe we should talk bankroll/shots at 15/30 at some point."

Apparently stoxtrader doesn't know what hes talking about.

tolbiny 12-23-2005 12:54 PM

"4. Not three-betting AdKd on a JdTdx flop (he REALLY doesn't understand the math of that situation... not three-betting there is a big error in my opinion)."

I had call down here- but thats because i want to give the two players inbetween a chance to call 2, and the original better to call another one. If i think the other players have no chance of putting in 2 bets then its raising time.

"3. Not-raising a rivered nut flush with a bet in front of you and 3 players left to act behind you."

Thisis especially bad because the other players have shown no interest in the hand at all. If they ahd been betting and calling the turn going for overcalls might be correct, but there is no way they are calling unless they hit something- in which case they could easily call 2.

#1 and #2 are just [censored] weak tight. and i know weak tight.

Edited by W. Deranged for decency reasons...

tolbiny 12-23-2005 01:08 PM

You know what really pisses me off? There is no wasy to contact him to tell him what a nit he is. Jesus man, people pay this guy for this?

Q1 wrong.
Q2.right
Q3 wrong
Q4 wrong
Q5 - what a stupid question- the answer depneds on what the other players do inbetween you and the raiser.
Q6. Wrong, so very wrong
Q7 Wrong so very, very wrong
Q8. right
Q9 right- hey he got 2 in a row!
Q10 debateable- but whawt a dumb ass question. Can you play a nut flush draw with 2 overs and a gutshot in a big pot with many players incorrectly?
Q11 Wrong.
Q 12 wrong "i don't like stealing blinds much" = "i don't like making money" at higher limits.
Q13 only correct if you need to change your tampon and have to rush to the bathroom, which i suspect happens a fair amount to rolf.
Q14. wrong.

Holy [censored]- in question 4- if you fold the nuts on the river you get 2 points!!! The worst possible play in holdem, and he gives you 2 points for it.

By his scoring standards but with the correct answers in order he got a 78.

damaniac 12-23-2005 01:36 PM

Yeah his scoring system is pretty messed up as is, but I don't see how folding the nut flush for one bet can be worth anything other than -10 under this system.

12-23-2005 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah his scoring system is pretty messed up as is, but I don't see how folding the nut flush for one bet can be worth anything other than -10 under this system.

[/ QUOTE ]

he is scared of the straight flush

12-23-2005 01:38 PM

The quiz was quite bad, but I definitely like the idea in itself. A quiz in the same spirit as the excellent chess book "Test Your Positional Play", where points are awarded for your decisions, and both the correct and wrong answers are discussed and important concepts are illustrated.

Such a quiz would certainly be appreciated by many; perhaps one of the Pooh-bahs could make one and have it published in the "Two Plus Two Internet Magazine" [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

12-23-2005 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're in the big blind with Ah 3h. There have been no raises, five people see the flop Td 8h 5h. You have checked and called the flop (seat # 4 has been the bettor) and all four remaining players have checked the turn (Ks). A third heart comes on the river (9h)

if you get reraised, your hand might not even be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

So hes afraid of a straight flush. I give his advice 0 merrit.