Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   set against possible flush (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393889)

fathertime 12-08-2005 12:50 AM

set against possible flush

Villain is a fair player but does not respect the board like he should--he has 2 pair he's getting all in, no matter what the board reads and what his opponent's bets are telling him. Later in this session, villain won a $550 pot when his 2 pair sucked out on the river against a flopped str8t. It was obvious, to me at least, that villain's 2 pair were beat.

.5/1

villain 212, I cover

Hero in co [5c 5s] calls; five to the flop: [3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
mmp1 - Bets $4
villain - Calls $4
hero - Raises $17 to $17

mmp1 folds; villain calls

turn j [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

(pot $43)

villain bets $50

hero? (villain has about 145 left)

DJ Sensei 12-08-2005 01:05 AM

Re: set against possible flush

Well, it seems pretty clear that he's made a hand here. If its not a flush, its AJ, but it looks a lot like a flush. The bright side is, if you boat up on the river, you'll presumably take his whole stack. so, check the odds:

10 outs to fill up (3.6-1 pot odds), you are paying 50 for a chance to win ~250 (5-1 implied odds). Given that he could possibly have AJ as well, a call sounds pretty good to me.

Morrek 12-08-2005 01:19 AM

Easy call to boat up

fathertime 12-08-2005 01:21 AM

call turn; fold to any decent sized river bet if I don't fill?

Morrek 12-08-2005 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
call turn; fold to any decent sized river bet if I don't fill?

[/ QUOTE ]

No raise preflop right? So AJ is quite unlikely... I'd fold river unimproved if he bet semi-big (more than half pot or so I guess, depends on feel) yes

fathertime 12-08-2005 01:29 AM

Yes--no raise pre. I usually raise in this spot--didn't this time.

fathertime 12-08-2005 01:31 AM

Yea--the turn call is clear. Should've posted the river decision--he went all in, I folded. Guess this decision is a clear fold also but as I watched his play in the rest of the session I started to question the hand more and more.

Morrek 12-08-2005 01:35 AM

If you're planning on calling an allin on the river unimproved (because of reads or whatever) you might aswell push turn IMO

fathertime 12-08-2005 01:39 AM

At the time the turn call was strictly to boat up. I gave him credit for the flush at that point. It was only after watching him play some big hands pretty poorly that I began to question the river fold.