Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   I've been calling down too much (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=245918)

gvibes 05-05-2005 12:10 AM

I\'ve been calling down too much

I feel like I'm calling down too much when I'm obviously beat.

This is from 1/2 6-max, but there is nothing particularly 6-max-ey about it.

Would this be a good spot to fold? Turn c/rer is semi-loose, and semi-aggressive, but not idiotically so.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero ... ???

Buckmulligan 05-05-2005 12:11 AM

Re: I\'ve been calling down too much

In 6 max it might be correct to call down here even if you didn't pair the ace. Were you considering a fold?

KaiShin 05-05-2005 12:13 AM

I wouldn't fold this. You're nuts if you're considering it.

xLukex 05-05-2005 12:14 AM

He may have had you for a missed flush.

Who knows!

I think this is a safe call down situation, as you have TPGK.

It's more middle-high pair situations I find myself calling down when I'm beat.

gvibes 05-05-2005 12:21 AM

He check-raised 3 people on a scare card. Do you really think someone would play a marginal ace that way?

Buckmulligan 05-05-2005 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He check-raised 3 people on a scare card. Do you really think someone would play a marginal ace that way?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be going to showdown about 36-38% of the time in 6 max. If you are considering a fold here, I have a feeling that you aren't up there yet. Call down more - that's my advice. I often think I call down too much, but my WtSD% is way too low as well.

Sometimes a bad run of cards makes us overthink things.

TripleH68 05-05-2005 12:33 AM

If BB holds Ax his raise may be trying to knock out another Ax. The paired board also gives BB a chance for a split pot if the river counterfeits.
This would be a good aggressive play from the BB since he knows you do not hold a 4 and a 3-bet is unlikely.

Given hands you are behind are AA, AK, AQ, A6, 66 and any 4 a call down here seems alright.

jaxUp 05-05-2005 01:53 AM

I too have found myself calling down way too much lately. However, this is not one spot where I would think calling down is wrong.

gvibes 05-05-2005 01:59 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.

Results: I called down. The two clowns called the turn c/r, folded to the river bet, and the BB turned over 34o, and MHING.

DeadRed 05-05-2005 05:19 PM

As bad as the results seem, just remember this is where you pat the table, say "Nice hand", and get $$$ in your eyes. If he will call a PF raise with 34o and Heckle &amp; Jekyll will run to the river on draws, you are soon to be a rich(er) man.