Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Texas Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How long were you playing poker before you started to show... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=312385)

08-10-2005 07:24 PM

How long were you playing poker before you started to show...

...a consistent profit?

08-10-2005 07:29 PM

Re: How long were you playing poker before you started to show...

Fortunately for me, my first ever session was a winning one, and I've never been in the red.

BreakfastBurrito 08-10-2005 07:42 PM

First live session was a $7 loss in a 3/6 game. Next 20 sessions or so were winners, moving up to $10/20 in about the 7th session and I've never looked back. Online on the other hand, took over $6k and 9 months to maintain enough discipline, focus and tiltlessness to become a consistent winner.

witeknite 08-10-2005 09:48 PM

I doubt you wanted brag posts as responses. What limit are you playing? If it's <=.5/1 online or 3/6 B&M and you aren't immediatly seeing a profit, go hit the Microlimits forum and start reading every hand post there is. Also, go get some books. If it's at limits higher than that, you probably shouldn't be playing there if you aren't already a winning player. There's no shame in starting low.

WiteKnite

08-10-2005 10:46 PM

I've been playing .25/.50 NL and $10 or $20 SNG online. I just go back and forth though. I am up but I can't get over the hump. Every time I start going up I hit a bad beat or two and get knocked right back down. Should I play limit as opposed to NL. Any tips? Thanks.

I have several books on Hold 'em. Super system, Harrington Vol 1 & 2, Theory of Poker. Can you recommend any other ones.

08-10-2005 10:47 PM

You mean people actually win consistently? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

SUfan5 08-10-2005 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have several books on Hold 'em. Super system, Harrington Vol 1 & 2, Theory of Poker. Can you recommend any other ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recomment Small Stakes Holdem, but if you're mostly a no limit player, this isn't exactly what you're looking for. It will help with your limit game if you want to improve that.

Vroomster 08-11-2005 12:43 AM

As a beginning player, I'd recommend dropping down even farther. UB has limits as low as .01/.02. If that's just too low for you, then .05/.1 or .1/.25 are options.

It's not hard to become a winning player at these limits by being tight, and you still learn a bit about making better plays, as well as learning not to tilt to bad beats. Keep reading 2+2, and you'll get better.

Guthrie 08-11-2005 01:13 AM

One day.

Full disclosure: I studied the game for six months before making a deposit.

BigBaitsim (milo) 08-11-2005 01:20 AM

I deposited $50 two years ago. No deposits since.