Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Waiting for the turn (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=231598)

chris_a 04-13-2005 10:38 AM

Waiting for the turn

Was the concept of waiting for the turn applied properly?
Was the turn card "raisable"?
Was is too late at that point?
Should I have expected a check-raise?

All questions I'm not positive about the answer to...

neither sLP-A nor NoReadJoe are bad players.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB <font color="#A500AF">(NoReadJoe)</font> calls, BB <font color="#A500AF">(sLP-A)</font> calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">NoReadJoe bets</font>, sLP-A calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
NoReadJoe checks, <font color="#CC3333">sLP-A bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">NoReadJoe 3-bets</font>, sLP-A folds, Hero calls.

River: (13.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">NoReadJoe bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB

KaiShin 04-13-2005 10:48 AM

Re: Waiting for the turn

Bleh.

On the flop, with your overpair you should be charging people now if they're on a draw. Raise it because everyone who's gonna call is in the hand, and you've got them all trapped. You can't protect against flush draws on any street, so don't bother trying. The way you played it, you got the least money in the pot while you were ahead, and the most money in while you were behind.

Since you're holding the Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I don't mind the turn raise here.

Was it too late for what, at this point?

SB check/3-betting his flush on the turn is pretty stupid, IMO, unless he had some sort of read on you or BB.

KeysrSoze 04-13-2005 10:49 AM

I'd raise the flop. Even when the heart hits you've got outs and have odds to continue (hopefully he doens't have Ax or Kx of hearts, but you can't know) if you are beat, which you might not even be.

@bsolute_luck 04-13-2005 10:51 AM

the only thing i'd change is a raise on the flop.

chris_a 04-13-2005 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Was it too late for what, at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

To drive "Joe" out of the pot? I guess that's a results oriented question so you can ignore it.

EDIT: I guess the real question was, was it too late to assume that I might have had the best hand still and that raising was in order.

Thanks for your comments.

@bsolute_luck 04-13-2005 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SB check/3-betting his flush on the turn is pretty stupid, IMO, unless he had some sort of read on you or BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't get this. what do you mean? yes i hate the c/3-bet too, but what hands do you put SB on with him doing this? when people do this get completely confused [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] and resign myself to call down because i'm so lost.

KaiShin 04-13-2005 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't get this. what do you mean? yes i hate the c/3-bet too, but what hands do you put SB on with him doing this? when people do this get completely confused [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] and resign myself to call down because i'm so lost.

[/ QUOTE ]
I mean that if I were SB, I wouldn't check the turn, because noone showed up on the flop to take control of the hand. I would lead out, and pray that someone with a 7 raises me. Of course SB's range of hands here is huge, but once he 3-bets the turn we can narrow it down pretty easily, unless he's a maniac.

We hold the Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], so we have odds to call SB's 3-bet. I'd likely fold the river though. I don't think we're good here even 8% of the time.

@bsolute_luck 04-13-2005 11:01 AM

whatever SB does, hero should still raise the flop and turn though right?

KingOtter 04-13-2005 11:01 AM

I wouldn't wait on this one with 2 hearts and a pair on the board. First reason is you probably have the best hand, but you need to find out. So since you probably have the best hand, you want money in the pot. But you'll also see if someone like their hand well enough to contest you. I'd go so far as to cap the flop.

If it does get capped and NoReadJoe still comes out firing on the turn, then I call down, as you have tons of redraws, but I don't think your equity is good enough to raise it against 2, or heads-up.

KO

KaiShin 04-13-2005 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
whatever SB does, hero should still raise the flop and turn though right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, definitely.