Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A9 suited (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=359696)

10-17-2005 08:10 PM

A9 suited

People, please help me out here...my buddy and I are disputing...A9 suited under the gun in a LOOSE PASSIVE 3-6 live game, what's the play here? Call, fold, raise?

I think it's clear my position, I opt for the raise for pot equity, but my buddy says you gotta fold it here, even if it is a loose passive game. I am an aggressive player though and I three-bet with most pairs in position, but what do you guys think?

A9 suited UTG: Limp, Fold, Raise?

Peace

hobbsmann 10-17-2005 08:17 PM

Re: A9 suited

Folding sucks here. I prefer a raise as your hand plays well multiway so being cold called by a bunch of worse hands is fine, but calling is completely viable. Folding sucks here.

10-17-2005 08:20 PM

Relative newbie answer:

Let's look at all three possibilities:

Fold - you're out of the hand, and while you have an above average hand, you got out of a bad position play. If the table is loose and passive, I don't like this option.

Call - the thing you're probably most excited about is a flush draw and by calling, you invite other callers and you build a nice pot. If you're not raised, you like a 9 high flop an A!

Raise - raising from UTG implies a pretty strong hand. If it's a loose but passive table, I'm guessing you'll get minimal callers and any callers will be ahead.

I'd choose call.

W. Deranged 10-17-2005 08:28 PM

This is sort of a personal preference decision. Some of the more aggressive players will tell you to raise, but calling is fine. Folding sucks.

Adam22 10-17-2005 08:33 PM

yeah it's definetly not a fold, i'd raise. i was wondering, when you say "raise for pot equity" do you mean that you're raising because the liklihood that you have the best hand and therefore "own" a larger percentage of the pot than anyone else? that term has always confused me.

Pog0 10-17-2005 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering, when you say "raise for pot equity" do you mean that you're raising because the liklihood that you have the best hand and therefore "own" a larger percentage of the pot than anyone else? that term has always confused me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Essentially correct, with "you have the best hand" not always necessary.

It's often used interchangeably with raising for value. You can raise for "pot equity" or value if you have a >25% chance to win a 4-way pot.

10-17-2005 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah it's definetly not a fold, i'd raise. i was wondering, when you say "raise for pot equity" do you mean that you're raising because the liklihood that you have the best hand and therefore "own" a larger percentage of the pot than anyone else? that term has always confused me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought raising for pot equity was where each player you knock out of the pot increases your chances of winning the pot.

E.G raising KQ on an AK3 board in BB after the PFR SB bets. Trying to knock out players thus increaing your percentage chance to win the pot. For instance you have 20% with 3 players, but if you re-raise and make a player fold your equity is increased to 33%.

This may be something similar?

10-17-2005 11:37 PM

I raise if there are reasonable players behind me that would likely fold larger offsuit aces to my UTG raise.

10-17-2005 11:57 PM

Call and let em all come in if you are UTG. Being out of position sucks with this hand. Getting callers doesn't define their hands well enough to be in control in subsequent betting rounds (i.e where is the AT and AJ?) As far as equity goes, you might lose a little now, but I think you can make up for it in the later betting rounds with more players in if you hit the flush.

Felipe 10-18-2005 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought raising for pot equity was where each player you knock out of the pot increases your chances of winning the pot.

E.G raising KQ on an AK3 board in BB after the PFR SB bets. Trying to knock out players thus increaing your percentage chance to win the pot. For instance you have 20% with 3 players, but if you re-raise and make a player fold your equity is increased to 33%.

This may be something similar?

[/ QUOTE ]

do you have this yet? You should get it.