Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Barry Greenstein Critiques Top Players in the World (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=162313)

That guy 12-15-2004 12:20 PM

Barry Greenstein Critiques Top Players in the World

kind of entertaining fluff:

http://www.barrygreenstein.com/analysis.htm

example:

Gus Hansen
"I play with Gus in side games where one million dollar swings are very rare, yet I have seen Gus get stuck a million and get even in the same session -- three different times!"

Luke 12-15-2004 12:41 PM

Re: Barry Greenstein Critiques Top Players in the World

Interesting stuff. I find it funny that Barry describes Howard Lederer as he does:

"When Howard was young and over-confident, he seemed too solid of a player for my tastes. I didn't consider him to be very dangerous. Then I saw him make a few risky plays, that coincidentally didn't work, and I remember saying to myself, "He's a player now"."

Luke

PokerPaul 12-15-2004 01:02 PM

Found it interesting that he claims to be the biggest money winner over the last few years from cash games.

Obviously i have no idea, and maybe he is indeed the biggest winner there, but i figure there are likely a lot of other top players with top egos who might challenge that statement.

J.R. 12-15-2004 01:05 PM

no there are not a lot, if any, who will challenge that.

Easy E 12-15-2004 01:21 PM

Interesting comment that I had automatically assumed

He worked hard to improve his limit game and for some reason as his limit game improved, his ferocity at no-limit declined.

To me, this seemed a natural result. Am i giving too much credit to limit, for needing to dampen aggression?

waj4ever16 12-15-2004 01:48 PM

Interesting article. I respect his viewpoints because he is a top notch pro himself. I do think that Phil Ivey is the best player in the side game that they play in. I heard that last year, he made about 20 million playing poker. No wonder he doesn't like to do tournaments.

fsuplayer 12-15-2004 02:05 PM

I do think that Phil Ivey is the best player in the side game that they play in

watch the big game alot do you?

PokerNeal 12-15-2004 02:08 PM

Barry on Barry.

Best game: Whatever I have been playing a lot of recently.
Weakness: So many, that I needed to write a book to cover them all.

My book contains plenty of examples which will enable you to analyze my play and philosophy.

Men the Master 12-15-2004 02:16 PM

I would love to get a hold of his book. However, he does not have a publisher from what I've heard - I think because he told a publisher that it is for very high stakes players which is a very limited market.

Nagoo81 12-15-2004 02:20 PM

I don't think BG has to exaggerate his assessment of his own winnings. I also don't think BG would lie about it, since he doesn't seem the type of person that needs to prove anything to anyone. I could see Hellmuth needing to do so, but not BG.

Also interesting is that BG rates Phil Ivey's steam control a '5'. That's interesting to note, since it always seems that PI is the ultimate in benig always calm and taking it one hand at a time. Maybe its his perfected game face that hides it all.

Also of note is that BG rates Phil Hellmuth's steam factor a '2'. I wouldn't give PH that much credit. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

All in all, this critique is pretty neat. It looks like a sports video game where they rate the player's abilities...

i.e. EA's NHL '93

BOB PROBERT
FIGHTING 99
AGGRESSION 99
SPEED 59

etc etc [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]