Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Missing completely (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=203436)

Bill Smith 02-27-2005 12:57 AM

Missing completely

Probably the biggest area I'm struggling at right now is when I raise with Ace + good kicker and miss the board. Example below:

Button's stats are something like 32/3 with very low flop aggression and very high river aggression.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

Especially when I have a read that my opponent has an astronomical river aggression stat, this is the line I seem to end up taking, and I absolutely hate calling that river bet. Is this standard for all of you regular and profitable players?

Bill Smith 02-27-2005 01:05 AM

Re: Missing completely (example 2)

MP is loose passive preflop, but no other notes.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero...

Final Pot: 4.75 BB

SomethingClever 02-27-2005 01:08 AM

I usually just fold this.

On the first one you posted, sometimes I don't bet the turn... depends on my read. And I usually don't call the river unless I'm against a total donk. If I know they'll bet the river when checked to, I mark 'em down for a future checkraise.

Don't listen to me, though, I got crushed with AKo this month.

Jeff W 02-27-2005 01:10 AM

Re: Missing completely

On this particular board, I'm check-folding the turn because I'm going to get raised out of this hand a lot. There isn't much value in Ace-high on this board.

If I somehow made it to the river, I'd check-call like you did.

Jeff W 02-27-2005 01:13 AM

Folding is my default play in the AT hand.

Please post hands in separate threads, or things become confusing for us simpletons.

Bill Smith 02-27-2005 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please post hands in separate threads, or things become confusing for us simpletons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just trying not to load up the board with threads of me... I'd argue that's worse. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

SmileyEH 02-27-2005 01:25 AM

I'd bet the turn here but checkfolding the river is far better than any other action. High river agression really means the player draws a lot then either folds or bets on the river (he hits or he doesn't).

-SmileyEH

spider 02-27-2005 01:30 AM

Hand 1 -- I agree with Jeff, check-fold turn. You pick up a gutter, but only have one overcard and no heart. Small pot, let it go.

Hand 2 -- Raise or fold on turn depending on read. You say he's passive, so I'd fold.

Jeff W 02-27-2005 01:31 AM

Be free and spam.

I prefer many clear threads to one confusing thread.

RunDownHouse 02-27-2005 03:33 AM

On the first, I don't especially mind the turn bet. You'll often get a fold, and if you get called and are behind, you've got at least a couple outs. The river is a clear fold, however.

On the second, easy fold. At best I think you're drawing to 6 outs, more likely 3, in a small pot.

And I definitely second splitting these hands into different threads. If you put 3-4 hands in a thread, I most likely will have comments on 1 of the hands, but not the others, and won't feel like just posting on the one. I'm lazy like that.