Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Another Semi-Bluff on the River (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=356658)

TaintedRogue 10-13-2005 05:24 AM

Another Semi-Bluff on the River

Same 20/40 HE live game. Five folds to me & I raise with Th,Ts. SB calls & we are heads-up.

Flop: Ah,8s,7d......SB cks, I bet, SB calls.

Turn: 9d.....SB cks, I bet & SB calls.

River: Td.....bringing me a set & putting a str8 & flush on board.
SB bets.........I raise.......thoughts?

trickymartin 10-13-2005 01:32 PM

Re: Another Semi-Bluff on the River

Why does he lead out on river?
I think these are possibilities:

1. T helped him
You have 2 T's yourself, so it's unlikely that T made him
two pair on river. If he has lower set or he had 2 pair on turn, he would have raised you on turn. I think it is likely that river card made him straight with 6 or jack.

2. Diamond made him flush

3. He is trying to bluff you

4. He is donkbetting pair of aces

If you raise, bluff will fold and better hands often 3-bet. I don't think he has 2 pair or pair of aces often enough to raise.

I can't see any reason to raise, just call. And I don't think you can semi-bluff on river. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

rory 10-13-2005 01:36 PM

a raise on the river is good for 2 things

1) putting the money in with the best hand and getting called by a worse hand
2) getting the opponent to fold the best hand

which of those are you doing

3rdCheckRaise 10-13-2005 01:37 PM

Terrible...SB wont fold a streight, will raise a flush and will fold anything other then 2 pairs...

sandbagger223 10-13-2005 01:41 PM

Isn't the term "semi-bluff on the river" an oxymoron?

Fianchetto 10-13-2005 02:00 PM

That is not a semi-bluff, unless the dealer is going to put up 6th street for you.

A semi-bluff is when you still have ways to improve your hand with card(s) to come.

As for your river raise, I don't think you will ever fold out a better hand. Will you ever get called by a worse hand, i.e. two pair?....maybe. But mostly I think you lose to a straight or flush, so I don't see much point to raising.

phish 10-13-2005 04:47 PM

It's not a semi-bluff. I think he used that term to mean that there's some chance he can fold out a better hand (straight fearful of flush) and there's some chance he'll get called by a worse hand.

ActionBob 10-13-2005 04:49 PM

Another Semi-Bluff on the River

????????

-ActionBob

TaintedRogue 10-14-2005 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a raise on the river is good for 2 things

1) putting the money in with the best hand and getting called by a worse hand
2) getting the opponent to fold the best hand

which of those are you doing

[/ QUOTE ]

I was betting on the premise that it was more likely he was on a str8 draw after the flop, rather than a backdoor flush draw. My raise may get him to lay it down if I can sell Ad,Xd, however, not as likely then if he had caught his 2nd pair on the river.

TaintedRogue 10-14-2005 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a semi-bluff. I think he used that term to mean that there's some chance he can fold out a better hand (straight fearful of flush) and there's some chance he'll get called by a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used "semi-bluff" out of context, as I don't know what else to call it; I have a really good hand, it just isn't all that good against that board, unless I'm up against two pair.