Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Yankees pay more in luxury tax than the devil rays do on players (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403190)

sublime 12-22-2005 01:13 AM

Yankees pay more in luxury tax than the devil rays do on players

AP

rwperu34 12-22-2005 04:43 AM

Re: Yankees pay more in luxury tax than the devil rays do on players

They should move the Devil Rays to Brooklyn.

New001 12-22-2005 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Using 40-man rosters, the average annual values of contracts and including benefits, the Yankees' payroll finished at $213.1 million, followed by Boston at $141.9 million, the New York Mets at $119.2 million, the Los Angeles Angels at $115.9 million and Seattle at $111.9 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about getting a lot of wins for your money. Wow.

mostsmooth 12-22-2005 03:20 PM

and?

Huskiez 12-22-2005 03:38 PM

Let me preface by acknowledging that I don't really know how the luxury tax works. But it seems that every time you violate it by having a salary over a certain amount, you move up a bracket.

So isn't it a really bad idea for the Bosox to be so marginally over the threshhold? Is it really worth that 4 million to now send your payroll above that, so that if in the future, you are well over the threshhold, you wasted your chance at a lower bracket?

I would have tried to shave that amount so I can use my 30% tax rate later.

Edit: I misread the article. It seems they were 13 million over the threshhold. I guess that might be worth it then.

Huskiez 12-22-2005 03:41 PM

mostsmooth,

I think he is trying to say the Devil Rays' owner should stop pocketing money (not to mention the check they receive from the Yanks) and start spending some on players.

I am glad some of us agree that instituting a league minimum salary would be a good idea.

sublime 12-22-2005 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and?

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, one team paying more in salary luxury tax than another team in its own division isnt a good enough topic for discussion?

pokerdirty 12-23-2005 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and?

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, one team paying more in salary luxury tax than another team in its own division isnt a good enough topic for discussion?

[/ QUOTE ]

not if the thread is started by a red sox fan... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

DougOzzzz 12-23-2005 12:35 AM

actually, this link disappoints me. I thought the Sox payroll was below the luxury tax level last year. The Yankees spending >200 mil is not news to most people.

mostsmooth 12-23-2005 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
we all get it, the yankees spend a lot on payroll. yawn.