Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Hero or Fool? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399940)

Godfather80 12-16-2005 09:33 PM

Hero or Fool?

My main concern is preflop. Do stack sizes justify this in the long run?
Texas Hold'em $0.25-$0.25 NL (real money), #1,597,590,921
Table Chongqing, 16 Dec 2005 7:04 PM ET

Seat 1: dDAP ($27.80 in chips)
Seat 2: Hero ($24.10 in chips)
Seat 3: Leehong ($25 in chips)
Seat 4: ToasFace ($21.50 in chips)
Seat 5: Rickers3 ($23.10 in chips)
Seat 6: Villain ($8.15 in chips)
Seat 7: Ouzou_ ($59 in chips)
Seat 8: jer99 ($27.10 in chips)
Seat 9: PokerSpaz0 ($24.35 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
dDAP posts blind ($0.15), Hero (6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) posts blind ($0.25).

PRE-FLOP
Leehong folds, ToasFace folds, Rickers3 calls $0.25, Villain bets $1, Ouzou_ calls $1, jer99 folds, PokerSpaz0 folds, dDAP folds,Hero calls $0.75, Rickers3 calls $0.75.

FLOP ($4.00) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets $2.50, Rickers3 folds, Villain bets $7.15 and is all-in, Ouzou_ folds,Hero calls $4.65.

Hoopster81 12-16-2005 09:35 PM

Re: Hero or Fool?

it's definately close

the fact that Rickers is probably coming along swings it barely over to a call

Godfather80 12-16-2005 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's definately close

the fact that Rickers is probably coming along swings it barely over to a call

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought at the time was: $.75 to win $2.65 (plus Ricker's probable call) gives me about 4:1 immediate odds. This means that I need to win an additional $2.00 on the flop to justify my being 7:1 to hit my set. Since the pot on the flop would already be ~$4.00, I figured that I could squeeze another 1/2 pot bet out of somebody enough times to make the preflop call right.

Thoughts?

DoomSlice 12-16-2005 11:03 PM

I play basically about any pair in any reasonably raised pot. At this limit they WILL pay you off.

aces_dad 12-17-2005 12:41 AM

Being the second caller of the PFR (especially after a large stack calls) provides more than enough implied odds to make this call IMO. A potential third caller helps but I don't think is necessary to make this call.

12-17-2005 12:58 AM

in a multiway raised pot like this one, if you hit your set, you will be paid enough to compensate for the lack of 7:1 immediate odds (unless flop is 6 J 2 raindbow and your against 4 AKs)

I call there 100% of the time and will usually even call a decent size re-raise (because that usually means high pockets = high stakes if you hit ur set)

PoBoy321 12-17-2005 01:08 AM

I think it's very close. The implied odds + the dead money in the pot make this borderline. Also, I'm not too concerned with the $59 stack. Since he wasn't a pre-flop aggressor, I think that the only way you're really going to end up playing a big pot against him is if you make a set but are still behind.

Godfather80 12-17-2005 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's very close. The implied odds + the dead money in the pot make this borderline. Also, I'm not too concerned with the $59 stack. Since he wasn't a pre-flop aggressor, I think that the only way you're really going to end up playing a big pot against him is if you make a set but are still behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way. My only stack chance is the initial raiser, whose meager remaining stack does just get me (I think) to +EV.

DJ Sensei 12-17-2005 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've definitely started to give this consideration with my implied odds calls. Chances are, the caller of the preflop raise is also trying to make a hand and stack off the villain. You're only going to get a lot of money out of him if he hits his hand (or a draw), in which case you might be the one getting stacked. Of course, if the calling villain is a known idiot, the call is easy enough, because you might stack him if he catches TP or some trash against your set.

As far as the original post goes, I agree that its close, but i'll call with the additional deeperstacked players in the pot. (I don't like being OOP though).