Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Slowplay (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=202678)

PokerBob 02-25-2005 04:23 PM

Slowplay

Whatcha think?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

River: (6.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

Sir Limps Alot 02-25-2005 04:27 PM

Re: Slowplay

THink your play was alright. Heads up you can be creative with such a good hand.

butters 02-25-2005 04:31 PM

I'd wait until the river to raise. I'm surprised you didn't lose him on the turn.

einbert 02-25-2005 04:31 PM

He could very well be trying to checkraise this flop, and if he's checkfolding the flop he's probably checkfolding the turn (this flop is unique because it contains an Ace). I would bet the flop hoping for a checkraise, which you can smoothcall and raise the turn.

This line is fine too, but you are probably giving the strength of your hand away on the turn here. I might just call and hope he bets the river, you make more this way when he has nothing or a weak pair that he'll fold to your turn raise. I'm guessing this time he was trying to checkraise an Ace on the flop so he decided to call you down once he noted your slowplay.

27offsooot 02-25-2005 04:34 PM

I don't mind this against a poor playing opponent, but against a reasonable, aggressive one, flop checks after PF raises seem so transparent to me. I would have bet the flop, hoping to get raised. Considering the opponent open limped from CO, I guess this play is fine.

butters 02-25-2005 04:38 PM

the more i think about it...

the more i don't like this line. if he has a hand he'll play with you with, betting the flop is the better line.

if he's got junk and is just taking a stab at it on the turn, your raise should drop him. if you call, he might bluff again on the river, netting you two bb instead of one.

i would pick your line third out of three.

QTip 02-25-2005 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet the flop hoping for a checkraise, which you can smoothcall and raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerBob 02-25-2005 06:21 PM

RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
Whatcha think?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

River: (6.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually I never slowplay a set, but I wanted CO to think I was on a steal. It was my first orbit, so I was readless. Anyway, CO shows K8o and MHING. I've got a read (and a new buddy) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] now.

adamstewart 02-25-2005 06:30 PM

Bet this flop.

First, it looks too suspicious when you check it heads-up. It's even more suspicious when you raise the turn. I'm surprised he didn't fold right there.

Second, the only reason he must not of folded is that he has a piece of this board (i.e. an ace) - in which case you missed out on action (at least a bet) from the flop!

Third, if villain thinks you're just stealing/isolating, he may try something fancy like a check-raise on the turn - bonus! you can 3-bet him! (Again, you're slow-play turn raise tends to slow him down).

Just my thoughts...

Adam

lu_hawk 02-25-2005 07:06 PM

Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
Usually I never slowplay a set, but I wanted CO to think I was on a steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you want CO to think you are stealing then you should bet because that is what you do when you steal. but considering that he open limped K8o from the CO then i think there is about a 10% chance that he understands the concept of stealing.