Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best movie quotes (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=361184)

PoBoy321 10-19-2005 08:49 PM

Best movie quotes

Tonight I watched Animal House and Caddyshack, easily two of the most quotable movies of all time. This lead me to this question: What, in your opinion, are the best movie quotes of all time? I think that there are certainly many throughout the years, both comedic and serious, which can be considered great, but I think that everyone has, in their own mind, based on their own feelings and inclinations, what is the best movie quote of all time. I'll give you mine, from Animal House:

[ QUOTE ]
Otter: But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, some people could see this quote as just a funny moment in an otherwise hilrious movie. I, however, feel that this quote was actually a rather brilliant satire of the American judicial system which, shortly after Roe v. Wade, turned into a legalistic bastion of sophistry.

Now I ask you, OOT, to present your favorite movie quotes and your reasons for picking it.

mostsmooth 10-19-2005 08:59 PM

Re: Best movie quotes

its about time somebody started a thread like this!

PoBoy321 10-19-2005 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I realize that the topic of "What is the best movie quote" has been covered before, but I don't think that a thread has yet asked for the reasoning behind why it is someone's favorite. Maybe I should have reworded it, but that's the more important aspect of the question.

Sincere 10-19-2005 09:11 PM

"Im your Huckleberry"

mostsmooth 10-19-2005 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I realize that the topic of "What is the best movie quote" has been covered before

[/ QUOTE ]
this has been covered before?!?!

Duke 10-19-2005 09:16 PM

The girl in your avatar looks like she's a retard. An honest to goodness retard. It's probably just the angle and speed that make her look like that, and yes the tits are a nice addition, but she looks like she suffers from Down's Syndrome.

~D

beernutz 10-19-2005 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Im your Huckleberry"

[/ QUOTE ]

Best role eva. "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

PoBoy321 10-19-2005 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I realize that the topic of "What is the best movie quote" has been covered before

[/ QUOTE ]
this has been covered before?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it has been, maybe not recently, but I'm pretty sure it has been. I thought you were being sarcastic.

DarkForceRising 10-19-2005 11:12 PM

Don Johnson before killing Jack Warden in "Guilty as Sin".

"Old people...they walk too slow, they drive too slow-always gettin' in the way. And they're always talking about how [censored] used to be. Pain in the ass, really".

RRRRICK 10-20-2005 12:15 AM

Way to many to list but here's one of my favorites

"I'm the stylish one in the group"

"I know what you're thinking and the answer is yes, I have a nickname for my penis. It's called the octagon. I've also nicknamed my testes, the left one is James Westfolt and the right one is Doctor Kenneth Noisewater"

"You ladies play you're cards right you might just meet the whole gang"

Buckmulligan 10-20-2005 12:18 AM

"who's coming with me"
Jerry maguire. because jerry is my idol.

dizong 10-20-2005 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The girl in your avatar looks like she's a retard. An honest to goodness retard. It's probably just the angle and speed that make her look like that, and yes the tits are a nice addition, but she looks like she suffers from Down's Syndrome.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

you are gay (not a movie quote)

my favorite for the moment:
"I bury those cock-a-roaches!" in Scarface, not much wit, just funny how pacino says it (and everything else in that movie)

dizong

Vern 10-20-2005 12:46 AM

"Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
George C. Scott as General George S. Patton, Jr., in the movie Patton.

man 10-20-2005 01:03 AM

how about this one from dead man.

"this weapon will replace your tongue. you will learn to speak through it.

"and your poetry will now be written in blood."

-nobody.

diebitter 10-20-2005 01:18 AM

There so many, and it has been covered before, but what the hey. You mentioned 2 films for most quotable, and they are up there, but I'd also add Blazing Saddles to the list.

Here's my favourites from that at the moment (and coincidentally seem appropriate to OOT):

"What's happening in the clean world?"
"Mongo on pawn in game of life"

coffeecrazy1 10-20-2005 01:29 AM

There are so many movie quotes that touch me from a romantic point of view, due to their grandiose, beautiful nature, but these three stand out:

"I... had an experience. I can't prove it, I can't even explain it, but everything that I know as a human being, everything that I am tells me that it was real. I was given something wonderful, something that changed me forever. A vision of the universe, that tells us undeniably, how tiny, and insignificant and how... rare, and precious we all are! A vision that tells us that we belong to something that is greater then ourselves, that we are *not*, that none of us are alone." --Contact

"I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope." --The Shawshank Redemption

"Lotsa towns, lotsa songs, lotsa women...all I ever wanted them to say was, 'He could really play...he was good.'" --Crossroads

RRRRICK 10-20-2005 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are so many movie quotes that touch me from a romantic point of view, due to their grandiose, beautiful nature, but these three stand out:

"I... had an experience. I can't prove it, I can't even explain it, but everything that I know as a human being, everything that I am tells me that it was real. I was given something wonderful, something that changed me forever. A vision of the universe, that tells us undeniably, how tiny, and insignificant and how... rare, and precious we all are! A vision that tells us that we belong to something that is greater then ourselves, that we are *not*, that none of us are alone." --Contact

"I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope." --The Shawshank Redemption

No matter how many times I watch Shawshank this monologue and what follows(Red walking on the beach and embracing Andy) always puts a lump in my throat

Exitonly 10-20-2005 01:40 AM

Hands down:

Ronald Fisher: Yeah, not some tight-ass Middlesex chick, right? Like this cute little blonde that will get down and dirty with the guys. Like Smurfette does.
Donnie: Smurfette doesn't [censored].
Ronald Fisher: That's bullshit. Smurfette fucks all the other Smurfs. Why do you think Papa Smurf made her? Because all the other Smurfs were getting too horny.
Sean Smith: No, no, no, not Vanity. I heard he was a homosexual.
Ronald Fisher: Okay, then, you know what? She fucks them and Vanity watches. Okay?
Sean Smith: What about Papa Smurf? I mean, he must get in on all the action.
Ronald Fisher: Yeah, what he does, he films the gang-bang, and he beats off to the tape.
Donnie: [shouts] First of all, Papa Smurf didn't create Smurfette. Gargamel did. She was sent in as Gargamel's evil spy with the intention of destroying the Smurf village. But the overwhelming goodness of the Smurf way of life transformed her. And as for the whole gang-bang scenario, well, it just couldn't happen. Smurfs are asexual. They don't even have... reproductive organs under those tiny, white pants. It's just so illogical, about being a Smurf, you know? I mean, what's the point of living... if you don't have a dick?

KneeCo 10-20-2005 01:55 AM

I could go for a day and a half, here's a quick trio:
[ QUOTE ]
Harry Lime: Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Verbal: The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

but if I had to pick just one, it would be:
[ QUOTE ]
Bernstein: A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

TheBlueMonster 10-20-2005 02:02 AM

well, not the best, but my favorite one is from Apocolypse Now

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like [pause]victory. Some day this war is gonna end..."

ScottyP431 10-20-2005 02:05 AM

Third man, very nice
"Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving for ever? If I said you can have twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stops, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money -- or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare? Free of income tax, old man. Free of income tax. It's the only way to save nowadays."

jokerthief 10-20-2005 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The girl in your avatar looks like she's a retard. An honest to goodness retard.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing worse than a fallacious to malicious retard. Such posers! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

27offsuit 10-20-2005 10:51 AM

Are you gonna bark all day little doggy.......

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy.......
....or are you gonna bite?"

sfer 10-20-2005 10:59 AM

My favorite recent one was, "Do you want to gossip or do you want to shoot somebody?" in Spartan.

imported_The Vibesman 10-20-2005 11:02 AM

From Miller's Crossing:
"Your first shot puts him down, then you put one in his brain. Then it's over. We go home."

"There's nothing sillier than a man chasing his hat."

arod15 10-20-2005 11:08 AM

Rocky IV when his wife tells him he cant win?

"you right, maybe i cant win. Maybe all i can do is take everything he's got. But to beat me, he is going to have to kill me, and to do that, he has to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he has to be willing to die himself, and im not sure if he's ready to do that, i don't know, i don't know,,,, "
And he walks away to No easy way out song....

danzasmack 10-20-2005 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Im your Huckleberry"

[/ QUOTE ]

GuyOnTilt 10-20-2005 11:15 AM

Definitely not the best ever, but the best I've seen in a while. Made me smile more than any other quote in any movie I've ever seen maybe:

"Suppose a water dog comes down the tracks and sees you; what's he gonna say about you, LAND dog? If there's times in the world where it's time to take a chance, it's time right now to take a chance. What's this. Water. Get in it."

GoT

MonkeeMan 10-20-2005 11:27 AM

Two by Brando:

"Hey Stella" - Stanley Kowalski, "A Streetcar Named Desire"

"You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it." - Terry Malloy, "On The Waterfront"

swede123 10-20-2005 11:31 AM

I realize this is not a simple quote, but for such a long speech it's pretty damn awesome, and quite memorable.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. Men, all this stuff you’ve heard about America not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans traditionally love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, the big league ball player, the toughest boxer. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. I wouldn’t give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That’s why Americans have never lost and will never lose a war. Because the very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.

Now, an Army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. The bilious bastards who wrote that stuff about individuality for the Saturday Evening Post don’t know anything more about real battle than they do about fornicating.

We have the finest food and equipment, the best spirit and the best men in the world. You know, by God I actually pity those poor bastards we’re going up against. By God, I do. We’re not just going to shoot the bastards, we’re going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We’re going to murder those lousy Hun bastards by the bushel.

Now, some of you boys, I know, are wondering whether or not you'll chicken out under fire. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you will all do your duty. The Nazis are the enemy. Wade into them. Spill their blood. Shoot them in the belly. When you put your hand into a bunch of goo that a moment before was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do.

Now there’s another thing I want you to remember. I don’t want to get any messages saying that we are holding our position. We’re not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we’re not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass. We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we're gonna go through him like crap through a goose.

There’s one thing that you men will be able to say when you get back home. And you may thank God for it. Thirty years from now when you’re sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what did you do in the great World War II, you won’t have to say, "Well, I shoveled [censored] in Louisiana."

Alright now, you sons-of-bitches, you know how I feel. Oh, and I will be proud to lead you wonderful guys into battle – anytime, anywhere.

That’s all

Swede

goofball 10-20-2005 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Im your Huckleberry"

[/ QUOTE ]

Wyatt: It's not your problem Doc. You don't have to mix up in this.
Doc: That is a hell of a thing for you to say to me.

Doc: $500? Must be a peach of a hand.

imported_The Vibesman 10-20-2005 01:45 PM

My father taught me many things in this room. One of the things he taught me was, keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

miajag81 10-20-2005 01:46 PM

There are about five of them in the Unforgiven thread someone started yesterday.

Phoenix1010 10-20-2005 01:55 PM

Yeah, well, sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.

cwsiggy 10-20-2005 02:01 PM

"You've never heard of the Millenium Falcon? It's the ship that made the Kestle run in less than 12 parsecs."

I always liked that one.

imported_The Vibesman 10-20-2005 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"You've never heard of the Millenium Falcon? It's the ship that made the Kestle run in less than 12 parsecs."

I always liked that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even better is Kevin Spacey delivering that line as Chris Walken in an SNL sketch. Gold.

cwsiggy 10-20-2005 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even better is Kevin Spacey delivering that line as Chris Walken in an SNL sketch. Gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that the same sketch with the Burt Reynolds character trying out for a part (Darth Vader I think)

"who is this guy - what kind of car does he drive?"

imported_The Vibesman 10-20-2005 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that the same sketch with the Burt Reynolds character trying out for a part (Darth Vader I think)

"who is this guy - what kind of car does he drive?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it was supposed to be lost screen tests. Great sketch.

[ cut to next screen test ]

Voice of Director: Walter Matthau, Obi Wan Kenobi screen test. Alright, Walter, here we go. "I've never heard of them Hitting anything this big before."

Walter Matthau: "They didn't. But we are meant to think they did. These tracks are side-by-side. Sandpeople always ride single file to hide their numbers."

Voice of Director: "These are the same Jawas that sold us R2 and 3PO."

Walter Matthau: [ confused ] Jawas? What the hell is this picture about, anyway?

Voice of Director: Well, Walter, it's a space adventure about a magical force, and all the people and creatures that..

Walter Matthau: Oh, Christ! [ walks off ]

Voice of Director: Walter? Walter?

Voice of Director: Uh, Burt? We need the helmet. [ Burt puts on helmet ] "Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes. Or given you clairvoyance enough To find the rebels' hidden fortress." [ Burt stands motionless ] Uh, Burt? You're supposed to strangle the guy now.

Burt Reynolds: Oh, what, like.. go over there and choke him?

Voice of Director: No. No, you kind of twist your fingers at him.

Burt Reynolds: Ah. I don't get it.

Voice of Director: You see.. you have this mystical power.

Burt Reynolds: Let me ask you a question. [ clears throat ] What kind of car does this guy drive?

and my favorite:

Voice of Director: Jack Lemmon, Chewbacca screen test. Take one.

Jack Lemmon: [ holding up his mask ] Okay, excuse me. Before we put the spaghetti in the machine, can someone tell me what the hell one of these Chewbacca things is?

Voice of Director: Well, uh.. he's a Wookie, Jack.

Jack Lemmon: A what? A what the hell is a Wookie?

Voice of Director: Uh.. it's like a space ape.

Jack Lemmon: [ pissed ] Oh, that's terrific! You had me drive all the way from Beverly Hills to play a fu--kin' space ape?!

Voice of Director: Uh.. just put the mask on..

Jack Lemmon: I'm gonna take a dump in this fu--in' damn mask, that's what I'm gonna do!

Voice of Director: Jack, would you please put it on..

Jack Lemmon: Why can't I audition for Obi-Wan? You got Matthau screen testing! I'd be a terrific Obi-Wan!

Voice of Director: Would you please put the mask on?

Jack Lemmon: Aw, f--k yourself!

jakethebake 10-20-2005 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I always liked that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a funny line to read in isolation. I may start finding some places to use that quote if i can figure out how. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

imported_The Vibesman 10-20-2005 02:26 PM

You've got to remember, that these are just simple farmers. People of the land. The common clay of the new west. You know . . . morons.