Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   My Biggest Problem Now (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=385785)

GrunchCan 11-26-2005 08:05 PM

My Biggest Problem Now

My push on the river when I knew I should call is a symptom of my biggest problem right now. Now to figure out why I did that...

Anyone else do stuff like this?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO ($21.45)
Button ($17.10)
SB ($50.10)
Hero ($76.70)
UTG ($5.30)
UTG+1 ($93.95)
MP1 ($20)
MP2 ($49.35)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1, UTG folds, MP1 folds, Button calls $1.

Turn: ($5.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($5.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $75.2</font>, SB calls $38.60 (All-In).

Final Pot: $129.30

Maulik 11-26-2005 08:07 PM

Re: My Biggest Problem Now

We've all done it before and we'll do it again.

It's not terrible if you have a GOOD read.

amoeba 11-26-2005 08:09 PM

that min 3 bet should worry you but it doesn't.

this is bad.

AKQJ10 11-26-2005 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else do stuff like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Well, I'm not sure how broadly you're defining "stuff like this", but I do make impulsive pushes at times when they logically don't figure to pay off. For example, the other day i check/raised A9s for half my stack then pushed the turn on an A75 flop with one of my suit and no real reason to think I could get the bettor out of the hand with a better hand or get him to call with a worse one.

In that case, I had been check-raised for a lot by someone else with TPMK and for some reason I thought the Villain of that hand was taking shots at me. So that was the reason for my dubious judgment there, and I assume that identifying the problem is half the battle to fixing it.

In general any time I make a greatly unorthodox play in response to some "read", it's usually an overreaction and a questionable read to begin with. If I make a marginal play (call with an underpair against what I think is a big bluff bet on the river), it's often right. Go figure.

whittiphil 11-26-2005 08:16 PM

Yeah we've all done it. I really hate calling and seeing he has A7, but it's definitely a call.

GrunchCan 11-26-2005 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that min 3 bet should worry you but it doesn't.

this is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

It did worry me. I knew exactly what he was saying, "I have a full house!" But I chose to act in a way that is just wrong. Like he would actually fold a full house. Yea, right.

But I remember talking myself in to pushing by saying, "bah! he just has an ace! I can stack him if he does."

Stupid, stupid, stupid...

I dont do this as often as i used to. But I still do it, and it's always very stupid.

BobboFitos 11-26-2005 08:32 PM

your flop call is bad

GrunchCan 11-26-2005 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your flop call is bad

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I know. This was actually a thin call on purpose, becasue my read on SB up till now told me I had implied odds to hit a straight. I had a very strong read that SB would eagerly pay off if I hit.

Edit: I think that the people yet to act behind me, and the chnce that they may raise &amp; have position on me, overrides the implied odds, and i should have folded.