Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   AQs against Limp Reraise, Is my play OK (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=186908)

_Kevin_ 01-30-2005 09:31 PM

AQs against Limp Reraise, Is my play OK

1st orbit so no real reads.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

ghostface 01-30-2005 09:52 PM

Re: AQs against Limp Reraise, Is my play OK

It looks good but I might check behind on the river. Usually the limp rr'er is going to show KK or AA and you will lose. Its probably really close between betting and checking behind. I guess you have to fold to a raise here for sure although, gosh, the pot is big and I guess it would depend on the other player to see if he called or what.

I would check behind. Am I way off here?

Fat Nicky 01-30-2005 10:02 PM

I'd raise the flop. Raising the flop accomplishes a few things.

1. See how much the limp re-raiser likes his hand.
2. Fold the SB to protect your overcards.
3. A possible opportunity for a free turn card.

deadmunny 01-30-2005 10:13 PM

I am going to raise the flop here,call a reraise, if no reraise bet out the turn, (assuming no raise), bet out the river, if raised on turn, check/call the river.

Regards D

Jonny 01-31-2005 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks good but I might check behind on the river. Usually the limp rr'er is going to show KK or AA and you will lose. Its probably really close between betting and checking behind. I guess you have to fold to a raise here for sure although, gosh, the pot is big and I guess it would depend on the other player to see if he called or what.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the exact same thing here.

Nick C 01-31-2005 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last night, I got limp-reraised by 84s. The player in question was a maniac, though.

The two other most recent times I've gotten limp-reraised that I recall (on these occasions by more sensible players), my opponents had AJs and AQs.

Sometimes a limp-reraise on Party 2/4 does in fact mean AA or KK, but I certainly don't assume that it does.

All the same, I'm not really sure what's best on the river in this hand. But I would probably bet.

Edit: Regarding being up against an opponent who limp-reraises me, I think I'm less concerned by that than I am when an opponent raises preflop and then caps after I 3-bet with my AKo. I don't get limp-reraised very often, though, so I'm not sure about this. (And, actually, my 3-bets don't get capped by the original raiser all that often either.) I wonder what others' experiences have been.

sthief09 01-31-2005 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise the flop. Raising the flop accomplishes a few things.

1. See how much the limp re-raiser likes his hand.
2. Fold the SB to protect your overcards.
3. A possible opportunity for a free turn card.

[/ QUOTE ]

seems good to me.

_Kevin_ 01-31-2005 08:24 AM

Results

Both players had me beat [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. The LRR had AA and the SB had pocket 6's for the set.

feelixthegreek 01-31-2005 10:04 AM

So much depends on the read. A lot of players will limp reraise any two suited cards to build the pot, then check fold the flop when the suits don't come. This is common at my B&amp;M, not as common online. A lot of folks who limp with AA or KK like to slowplay them a little longer, too. Then, of course, there's the limp-rerariser who is correctly exploiting the aggression of others. The question is, who are you dealing with here?

PokerBob 01-31-2005 10:33 AM

Why not raise the flop?