Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha High (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Two pair - standard? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=404759)

Roy6 12-24-2005 08:08 PM

Two pair - standard?

No read on villain, he seems to be liberal calling PF raises. On the flop my hand looks quite OK. Set is unlikely, given I hold 2 pair + I have a 3 in my hand.

Betting out pot is standard here?

On the turn I pick up the nut flush draw. Would it be correct to bet less. I think villain will fold here either or pop me.
Villain raises, I put him on AQ. Correct to call this raise?
Whats your plan if the river is?
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], but pairs the board
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], not pairing teh board
non- [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6
non- [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A
any card you would donk with for a bluff?

10-handed at Crypto

Seat 4: Hero (€99 in chips)
Seat 5: villain (€91.25 in chips)

Hero posts small blind €0.50
Villain posts big blind €1

----- HOLE CARDS -----
Hero [6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
UTG, UTG+3 limps, I complete, villain checks

----- FLOP ----- [A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] €4
Hero bets €4
Villain calls €4
fold-fold

----- TURN ----- [A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] €11.50

I bet €8
Villain raises to €16
I call €8

BluffTHIS! 12-24-2005 09:50 PM

Re: Two pair - standard?

I bet the flop and turn like you did, and I call the raise. Although a set might seem less likely, it still is possible for the villain, although since he seems loose he might well have an A plus 3 higher cards and made aces over queens on the turn. So I would call the raise, and if a non-pairing flush got there bet like 1/2 the pot. In the event the board paired and filled me, I would probably just check/call, to induce an over agressive opponent to bet just 2 pair to make up for the times I am beat and not expose myself to a raise (if he were tighter then I would probably fold a non-nut full). And if I did not improve, then I would check/fold.

12-24-2005 11:21 PM

Your turn bet is fine. His min raise is a little strange. Has he been making this play in other hands? and with what? It kind of looks like he took a card off with A-Q-x-x and wants to see how much you like your hand. It could have even been A-Q-Q-6 or A-Q-Q-3. Anyways, even if he has a set, which you can't fully discount, you are certainly priced in to hit your flush.

I'm betting 1/3 to 1/2 pot (whatever you think gets a call) with a non-pairing club. If a Ace, 6 or 3 hits, I'm check/calling. Unless he is a complete maniac, I'm probably check/folding most other cards.

joewatch 12-25-2005 04:00 AM

I think your play is OK, but if you are interested in putting a little more smart aggression in your game, these are my thoughts:

Full pot it here or check call, otherwise you are just waisting chips. When you 3/4 pot it, you are basically telling villain "I have A6 or A3 and since you called me on the flop, I think I may be screwed, especially if you have a set or AQ".

Given that you 3/4 potted it (showing some weakness), I don't like the call of the minraise lets villain take the initiative away from you and gives away information about your hand (the fact that you are on a draw) for too small a price. I prefer reraising here to represent the aces like you did on the flop. Then villain can only read your 3/4 pot bet and reraise as saying "I have the top set, but I was betting a little less than full pot to invite a call." Villain can't raise you back without AA and can't call without at least QQ or 45xx suited in clubs.

Finally, given the way you played it through the turn, I would pot it on any blank card, 1/2 to 3/4 pot it on a flushing card, and check-call if the board pairs. Again, by playing it this way, you are representing top set.

dibbs 12-25-2005 09:36 AM

I play the same.

How are the crypto games?

Roy6 12-25-2005 04:02 PM

Thanks everyone for the input.
I agree with you that my turn bet seems weak, his raise is also weak indicating he doesn't have too much (I think AQ).
I wonder how much should I reraise if I follow your play?
Is my understaning that we are looking for an instafold here and not investing anymore in the pot without improvement right?

(Oh and I can't comment on Crypto games, I'm a newbie at Omaha)

joewatch 12-25-2005 09:42 PM

Reraise the max. Having a strong image will bring your game a long way.