Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   semi bluff raise (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399026)

tassie 12-15-2005 02:33 PM

semi bluff raise

SB: unknown, BB: 44%/5%. AF:3,
MP3: 23%/3% AF: 0.43

When I saw the raise I immediatly thought he was on a semi bluff raise with a flush or OESD. I thought there was a good chance I was ahead. The decision is to either reraise or fold. With an ugly board and four players to act behind I folded.

good decision or bad? And why?

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6.00 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds, UTG+2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, SB calls.

12-15-2005 02:43 PM

Re: semi bluff raise

Isn't this a perfect example of a raise to protect your weak hand situation? That's what BB may have been doing, protecting his draw or big 9. There are a lot of draws out there to dodge but you can still improve while avoiding their draws, I might have 3-bet here to try and get rid of people behind me.

12-15-2005 03:09 PM

Raise you have top pair and position on the two. Getting almost 5 to 1 call, you should raise here with top pair top kicker. If the turn is safe a bet will frequently take down the pot.

SnglMaltScotch 12-15-2005 03:13 PM

Any comments on just calling UTG with A9s. I don't do this at 2/4 on party. Others?

On the flop, I think I 3-bet here and see if bb caps.

12-15-2005 04:00 PM

*grunch*

I think you made a good fold. The board is pretty coordinated, so there could be straight and flush draws out there. The best you can hope for is to get another 9 or an ace, which still loses if someone makes a straight or flush. Given the lack of preflop raising, the SB and BB (or others for that matter) could very well have the low cards needed for the straight.

12-15-2005 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you should raise here with top pair top kicker. If the turn is safe a bet will frequently take down the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree

12-15-2005 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any comments on just calling UTG with A9s.

[/ QUOTE ]
bad and I think you know why

Songwind 12-15-2005 04:19 PM

Yossalah, are you saying you raise UTG with this, or throwing it away?

12-15-2005 04:20 PM

depends on the table and players. Both are acceptable

edit - you do understand why limping sucks here, right?

12-15-2005 04:25 PM

Ditch this hand pre-flop from UTG. Problem solved.

Since you played it, I think this is a reraise or fold situation. With the texture of this flop I would lean towards a fold, especially since this is not a large pot. If the pot were larger and the board not so coordinated, a 3-bet might be in order.

Also, consider that the action is coming from the blinds in an unraised pot. They could have a number of hands that connect well with this board, whereas if the action was coming from early or middle position limpers you might be able to narrow down their range a little better.

All-in-all, I say it's a not-so-tough fold. If you later find out you would have won, no big deal in this small pot.