Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   More fuel for the eminent domain fire (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=349411)

vulturesrow 10-03-2005 09:40 AM

More fuel for the eminent domain fire

Florida city considers eminent domain

Florida's Riviera Beach is a poor, predominantly black, coastal community that intends to revitalize its economy by using eminent domain, if necessary, to displace about 6,000 local residents and build a billion-dollar waterfront yachting and housing complex.

10-03-2005 01:37 PM

Re: More fuel for the eminent domain fire

want to speak about this point... can't access the article link without become a member / registering.

Please cut and past article please.

SheetWise 10-03-2005 01:42 PM

This is a good idea if, and only if, they add a lot of 65+ ft slips in the marina.

vulturesrow 10-03-2005 01:44 PM

Not that hard to find if you really want to read it

MMMMMM 10-03-2005 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
want to speak about this point... can't access the article link without become a member / registering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try www.bugmenot.com for all such sign-ins

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

good link for Favorites, too

10-03-2005 04:32 PM

thanks...

Read the article... I think eminent domain is necessary anywhere where people making $19,000 a year get to live on the beach.

I'm going to be a jealous zealot on this subject... sorry.

Jdanz 10-04-2005 01:19 AM

emminent domain is the issue that i'm least sure about in the entire current political spectrum.

I have no idea what i think, but i think we need to at least concede that we can't critize these redevelopements for being "solely" economic, as a solely economic plan clearly will have and is intened to have more far reaching consequences then generating wealth.

vulturesrow 10-04-2005 10:12 AM

I agree with. I had a very negative kneejerk response to the Kelo case. But then I realized that it the idea of using eminent domain in the fashion is very compatible with my view of economics and how to help the less fortunate. In a nutshell, I believe the best way to help people is through a combination of private aid and pursuit of economic policies conducive to growth. If the best way for the government to help someone is by creating a climate favorable economic growth in a particular region is to rezone a certain area to attract businesses , its hard for me to argue against it. I need to think through it some more but its most definitely not as simple as some have made it out to be.

lehighguy 10-04-2005 10:59 AM

If the region was really primed for economic developement, why does the government need to get involved. Can't the developers simply buy the land on the free market?

SheetWise 10-04-2005 11:02 AM

It\'s Simple

[ QUOTE ]
If the region was really primed for economic developement, why does the government need to get involved. Can't the developers simply buy the land on the free market?

[/ QUOTE ]
But then the developers would have to pay retail. What's the point of buying politicians if you can't use them?