Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Questions for David Sklansky (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=296587)

NotReady 07-20-2005 04:01 AM

Questions for David Sklansky

Why did Martin Eden commit suicide at the end of the London novel?

Why did Raskalnikov kill the pawnbroker?

David Sklansky 07-20-2005 05:20 AM

Re: Questions for David Sklansky

I don't know to both.

PLOlover 07-20-2005 10:03 AM

I'm taking a wild guess with absolutely no knowledge and purely guess lack of faith, despair at having no purpose, turning away from god, etc.

NotReady 07-20-2005 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm taking a wild guess with absolutely no knowledge and purely guess lack of faith, despair at having no purpose, turning away from god, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good guess for Eden though it's more involved than that. Eden's journey from ignorant sailor to famous author sinking to the bottom of the ocean is a fascinating account and worth comparing to Wolf Larsen's in London's "The Sea Wolf" - similar philosophy, different result. Which brings us to Raski - what about him?

PairTheBoard 07-20-2005 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good guess for Eden though it's more involved than that. Eden's journey from ignorant sailor to famous author sinking to the bottom of the ocean is a fascinating account and worth comparing to Wolf Larsen's in London's "The Sea Wolf" - similar philosophy, different result. Which brings us to Raski - what about him?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll never find a cure for cancer wasting your time reading books like that notready. You must not be very smart.

PairTheBoard

NotReady 07-20-2005 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You'll never find a cure for cancer wasting your time reading books like that notready. You must not be very smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never claimed to be smart.

Did Einstein read novels? Or poetry?

PairTheBoard 07-20-2005 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never claimed to be smart.

Did Einstein read novels? Or poetry?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I think that guy who headed up the Manhaten Project did though. My advisor years ago in Commutative Algebra told me he read a lot a science fiction at one time until he decided it was holding him back and became a 7th Day Adventist instead. He was one of the top researchers in his field.

PairTheBoard

NotReady 07-20-2005 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

he read a lot a science fiction at one time until he decided it was holding him back and became a 7th Day Adventist instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

He could become a "Duneist" and have the best of both worlds.

Peter666 07-20-2005 02:46 PM

I haven't read the first novel, but I know Raskolnikov killed the pawn broken because he needed money, and that he thought of himself as a superior being because of his sheer force of will power. Thus murdering her was justified in his eyes.

NotReady 07-20-2005 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Raskolnikov killed the pawn broken because he needed money, and that he thought of himself as a superior being because of his sheer force of will power. Thus murdering her was justified in his eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did some rationalizing about the character of the pawnbroker and his need for money but his true justification comes from existentialism. As a "superman" coventional rules don't apply to him.

Even in prison he thought this way

"What surprised him most
of all was the terrible impossible gulf that lay between him and all
the rest. " (of the prisoners)

Dos bails out at the end, though -

"But that is the beginning of a new story--the story of the gradual
renewal of a man, the story of his gradual regeneration, of his
passing from one world into another, of his initiation into a new
unknown life. "

London has Eden bail out in a different way.

Consistent existentialism is very, very hard to do. Except maybe for Wolf Larsen.