Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   I can't stand the bad runs (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=174437)

B1GF1SHY 01-10-2005 03:13 PM

I can\'t stand the bad runs

I've been having the worst run in poker I've ever had and this is the first month where I started off losing and continue to lose. I've been getting the worst beats and when I lose a big hand I go crazy. I don't want to take a break because I want and need the money but my mind is taking a beating, I keep getting really emotional and I get moody and then start taking it out on others around me. I punch or hit things also, which I regret later on because of the pain but I can't help myself.

Anyone going through a similar situation? What are you doing to try to keep yourself together or to keep your head from exploding? I need to stop hurting myself.

God, I really hate poker sometimes.

KidPokerX 01-10-2005 03:32 PM

Re: I can\'t stand the bad runs

Every poker player goes through these bad times. The winners are the ones who apply this negative energy to something more positive. Maybe you just need a break. Think about what you want and how you will get there. Most importantly you need to remember that poker is a long-term game. Relax and don't beat yourself up. If the game is getting in the way of other things in your life, or hurting relationships with those around you, then maybe a break isn't such a bad idea.
Best of luck.

steamboatin 01-10-2005 03:43 PM

You have to take a break now. Don't wait, you are tilting like a pinball machine if your post is accurate. Get another source of income if you need money, because in your mental state, you are guaranteed to lose.

coffeecrazy1 01-10-2005 05:17 PM

I understand the feeling very well. But, remember this: money you didn't lose is money you've saved. If poker is your income source but playing right now is -EV, then the best move is not to play...even if it means taking a break.

You have to be able to clear your head and play your A game at the table. If those "voices" in your head get to you, you will begin spewing money hand over fist even faster than a run of bad luck.

B1GF1SHY 01-10-2005 05:19 PM

I rarely tilt. I'm a consistant winner and have been for the past 8 months, I just go crazy when I lose big pots and while I take out my anger and frustration on people around me, I don't usually take it out on the table by playing loose and reckless. Yes, I may need a break just for a change but I'm almost positive that I am not guaranteed to lose.

bernie 01-10-2005 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to take a break because I want and need the money

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really need the money, you shouldn't be playing.

b

bigmac366 01-10-2005 05:28 PM

i understand this feeling all to well. i made a similar post about a month back and dr al pointed me to a series of his articles in cardplayer magazine that really helped. when i lose pots or bust out of a tourney, i like to simulate the hand on twodimes hand simulator to see how much, if at all, i was favored to win. if i was a significant favorite, i get some consolation out of knowing i out played my opponent, by getting all their money in the pot with the worst of it. i recently busted out of the last 5 tournaments i played in an 80 percent favorite when the money went in. i almost started tilting, but then reminded myself of the fact that eventually variance will reward me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. hope this helps. maybe someone has a link to dr. al's articles?

Al Schoonmaker 01-10-2005 05:40 PM

If you can't handle bad runs, poker is not the right game for you. They happen to everybody. In a recent issue of "Poker Player" Doyle Brunson said that 2004 might be a losing YEAR.

Do you play better than Doyle? If he can have a losing year, your short losing streak is not that surprising. There are numerous articles by experts such as Mason that you just have to expect and cope with losing streaks. That's the primary reason he and others have stated such conservative bankroll requirements.

The way you have described your reactions, you are not just damaging your bankroll. You are messing up your entire life. That is much too high a price to pay, especially when it will CERTAINLY happen again. If you can't handle losing streaks, don't play poker.

I regret being so harsh, but as a psychologist I have to be honest with you.

Regards,

Al

coffeecrazy1 01-10-2005 07:25 PM

I just love it how Loveline has Dr. Drew, and we have Dr. Al. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

steamboatin 01-10-2005 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I'm almost positive that I am not guaranteed to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please add this to the list of famous last words:

It will be alright
Nothing is going to happen
I'll be right back
You can't miss it
Etc.

The problem is, when your brain is screwed up, you don't realize it is screwed up until it is to late.