Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Standard Plays.... Not so standard, to me. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=317273)

josh3336 08-17-2005 04:28 PM

Standard Plays.... Not so standard, to me.

The more I seem to learn the less I seem to know. These are just some hypothetical questions that I would like to know how others would play. Suppose everyone has 100x bb stacks and the reads on players are they are average players with average pfr, vpip, and aggression for 6 ring max (NL 50).

Question One
UTG Villian calls .50
UTG+1 folds
CO folds
Dealer Hero (J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) Raises to 2
SB folds
BB folds
UTG calls

Flop ( J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])
POT= 4.75

Villian bets 2.50
Hero ??????

What is your play?

Question Two
UTG folds
UTG+1 folds
CO calls .50
Dealer calls .50
SB calls .25
BB Hero (9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) checks

Flop
(7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])
Pot=2.00

SB checks
BB HERO ?????

What’s your play?

Question 3

UTG folds
UTG+1 calls .50
CO folds
Dealer Hero calls .50 (7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
SB calls .25
BB checks

Flop (2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
Pot=2

SB checks
BB checks
UTG+1 checks
Hero ????

What’s your play?

ScottTheFish 08-17-2005 04:38 PM

Re: Standard Plays.... Not so standard, to me.

Obviously these are all read/player dependent...

Hand 1, raise the flop, you probably have the best hand. If he calls, re-evaluate according to what the turn card is. If he reraises drop it like it's hot.

Hand 2, Bet the pot. Lots of draws out so take away their odds. Do not give a free card here

Hand 3, check. too many opponents to take a stab here. Even if you're ahead there are about 1 million cards you don't want to see on the turn.

stu-unger 08-17-2005 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The more I seem to learn the less I seem to know. These are just some hypothetical questions that I would like to know how others would play. Suppose everyone has 100x bb stacks and the reads on players are they are average players with average pfr, vpip, and aggression for 6 ring max (NL 50).

Question One
UTG Villian calls .50
UTG+1 folds
CO folds
Dealer Hero (J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) Raises to 2
SB folds
BB folds
UTG calls

Flop ( J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])
POT= 4.75

Villian bets 2.50
Hero ??????

What is your play?

no read: villain i raise to 7.5 and am done.

Question Two
UTG folds
UTG+1 folds
CO calls .50
Dealer calls .50
SB calls .25
BB Hero (9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) checks

Flop
(7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])
Pot=2.00

SB checks
BB HERO ?????

What’s your play?

i check/call a late postion better, lead turn or...
if it gets checked around and a brick drops i lead turn.

Question 3

UTG folds
UTG+1 calls .50
CO folds
Dealer Hero calls .50 (7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
SB calls .25
BB checks

Flop (2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
Pot=2

SB checks
BB checks
UTG+1 checks
Hero ????

What’s your play?
check/fold, check/fold, check/fold unimproved

[/ QUOTE ]

08-17-2005 05:03 PM

Hand one: Raise to $6. If he calls, try to get to a showdown as cheap as possible. If he re-raises, fold.

Hand Two: Bet about 1/2 to 2/3 pot. Fold if re-raised. Proceed with caution if called.

Hand Three: Check/Fold.

ajmargarine 08-17-2005 05:34 PM

Man, somewhat varied answers here.

Hand 1 - Well, if he's semibluffing he priced himself out of a flush draw. I think if you raise here it commits you to making a bet on the turn. And do you want to do that if you suspect he has a better jack than you? I am not opposed to calling here and reevaluating on the turn. You are WA/WB. Heart or T comes, I raise pot on the turn. If an A or K comes, you may get him to lay down his likely J on the turn with a PSB if he checks to you.

Hand 2 - check/fold unless you get a minbet and a caller out there, then c/c.

Hand 3 - Bet pot. Last to act, no one is betting a jack, bet like you got one, second pair is probably goot.

Mackerel 08-17-2005 05:35 PM

I read the other responses, but I have a little different take on the second two then some of the replies so far.

Question 1:

I raise to $10 to find out if he really wants to play. If he reraises or calls & leads the turn I'm done.

Question 2:

Check & probably fold. There are too many behind you and your hand is weak. If you're lucky, maybe an utg donk will min-bet and 2 or 3 will call along and you call with great odds to spike your 3-out gutshot.

Question 3:

Nobody seems to like their hand. Make a pot bet & take it down. This is what position is for. If you happened to get called, spike a running 7 & 8 & bust 'em. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ScottTheFish 08-17-2005 05:43 PM

How can you check/fold 2nd pair + gutshot in hand 2 and bet 2nd pair vs. 3 opponents in hand 3?

ajmargarine 08-17-2005 05:56 PM

Very, very surprised to the first three responses in this thread about hand #3. There's 4 people in the hand. 3 have shown no interest in the hand and checked to hero who is last to act. You should be betting with any 2 here most of the time much less 2nd pair. You should almost always be betting second pair or third pair, if you are last to act and you have a benign board and it's been checked to you. Small pots add up. You take this down right here 80% of the time at least. And some of the other 20% you win a medium sized pot against a drawing villian or when your hand improves.

Mackerel 08-17-2005 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you check/fold 2nd pair + gutshot in hand 2 and bet 2nd pair vs. 3 opponents in hand 3?

[/ QUOTE ]

3 reasons: position, position and position

In the first hand your positions stinks and you have no idea where you're at. In the second hand, everybody checking to you makes it MUCH more likely that you are ahead, and you have a very good chance in an average game of taking it down uncontested. Plus, if you do get called, you have position to make a good decision on the turn.

A lot of times in NL, your position and reads on your opponents are much more important than what you actually have. As a recovering limit player, it took me quite a while to fully grasp how important this is.

srm80 08-17-2005 06:01 PM

Hand 1: I am raising to 6.50

Hand 2: PSB

Hand 3: I would bet 1.00 to narrow the field, fold to check raise.