Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   For atheists only - do you believe in a soul? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=392700)

bocablkr 12-06-2005 03:19 PM

For atheists only - do you believe in a soul?

Please do not answer unless you are an atheist.

MaxPower 12-06-2005 03:38 PM

Re: For atheists only - do you believe in a soul?

If by a soul you mean something that is seperate from your body and continues after you die, no I don't believe in that.

I do love soul music though. One of my favorite Ray Charles songs is I Believe to My Soul.

bocablkr 12-06-2005 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If by a soul you mean something that is seperate from your body and continues after you die, no I don't believe in that.

I do love soul music though. One of my favorite Ray Charles songs is I Believe to My Soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

12-06-2005 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that brother!

DougShrapnel 12-06-2005 03:49 PM

Yes, but I am a "bad" atheist in this regard. I have seem some speculative sceintific evidence for it, but even with zero evidence it's such a useful word that I'd "believe" in a soul. I'd be OK with getting kicked out of the club becuase of the belief.

Atheists are highly skeptical of "new age" mumbo jumbo, including uncritical belief in fortune-telling, esp, ghosts, various quack healing regimens, communing with the dead or erotic frolics with aliens.

imported_luckyme 12-06-2005 04:19 PM

I'm always intrigued by the 'maybe' option. In belief situations either you 'believe in' or you don't. I never quite get my head around "I maybe believe".
I suspect it comes from treating belief questions as if they were, "Is it possible that ... ". hmmmm... nope, those seem to require a yes or no also. What would "maybe possible" conceivably mean?
Ok, somebody help me here. What does 'maybe believe' mean?

purnell 12-06-2005 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm always intrigued by the 'maybe' option. In belief situations either you 'believe in' or you don't. I never quite get my head around "I maybe believe".
I suspect it comes from treating belief questions as if they were, "Is it possible that ... ". hmmmm... nope, those seem to require a yes or no also. What would "maybe possible" conceivably mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

"I don't know."

bocablkr 12-06-2005 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I included that option because I know if I didn't someone would complain. It actually has a vote, so hopefully that person will respond to your question.

12-06-2005 04:27 PM

if by "soul" you mean to say, "sense of decency" or "conscience", then yes. if by "soul", you mean, "immortal invisible spirit independent of the body", then no.

imported_luckyme 12-06-2005 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I don't know."

[/ QUOTE ]
Seems strange a person wouldn't know if they believed in something, my head starts hurting just trying to reach that place.
If the question is "Do you believe in X, " and you don't believe ( think it is true) then that's a "no, I don't".
Even if the question is, "Can you conceive that some day you could, given suffient evidence, believe in X?" then a person answers "Yes, I can " or "No, I can't".
Iow, I'm trying to figure out what question a 'maybe' answer thinks it is replying to. It never seems to be the question as posed. Yes, No, leaves out no positions in a belief question.