Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Do you verbalize your actions at the table? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=102491)

chson 07-13-2004 02:31 PM

Do you verbalize your actions at the table?

I verbalize every action (check, bet, call, raise) I make at a live table. I'm wondering if this is proper etiquette or just plain unnecessary and annoying to other players?

Dante 07-13-2004 02:53 PM

Re: Do you verbalize your actions at the table?

I usually verbalize everything, but not in an annoying, look-at-me kind of way. Whenever I'm going to raise, I always say "raise", just in case I missed a kill/half-kill pot....

also, i always cut my chips into neat piles instead of hurling them out in front of me as seems to be the style in chicago, especially with a lot of newer dealers who have enough issues just reading the board much less keeping track of the action/bets.

eh923 07-13-2004 03:15 PM

You don't need to verbalize everything (although it's usually smart to announce a raise), but it is definitely not poor etiquette. If that's what you like or are comfortable doing, keep doing it.

Rick Diesel 07-13-2004 04:30 PM

I say "raise" or "call" 100% of the time.
I say "fold" 0% of the time.

Rick Diesel

regisd 07-13-2004 04:35 PM

i'll verbalize "bet" and "raise", just to avoid any confusion.

checking and folding i usually just do nonverbally.

ericd 07-13-2004 04:37 PM

I say absolutely nothing during a hand.

Odder 07-13-2004 04:50 PM

I always say "Raise", just in case I accidentally make a string bet which is sometimes frowned upon.

Lost Wages 07-13-2004 05:17 PM

Too bad your avatar doesn't have sound [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Lost Wages

Jeffage 07-13-2004 05:54 PM

Learn the raising rules in your room. Does more than half the amount required to raise constitute a raise or must you put the ENTIRE (every chip) amount out in one motion? At the Borgata in AC and in Vegas, half or more is the rule so there's no point to say raise. At the Taj Mahal, you must get EVERY chip out (like at 20-40 if you raise the turn and accidentally only put out 75, you must call). Here, verbalizing is more prudent. Usually though, I just keep some greens around or just make the raise very carefully. You may be surprised what the tone of your voice can give away.

Jeff

JrJordan 07-13-2004 07:32 PM

Best... avatar... ever!