Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Hellmuth's revolutionary articles (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=394754)

12-09-2005 04:47 AM

Hellmuth\'s revolutionary articles

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_maga...amp;m_id=65578

"Your books, DVDs, and new “365 tips” calendar (jfturner.com) are flying off the shelves. You have a good amount of fortune and fame — nine World Series of Poker (WSOP) titles. Why, then, do you have to lose it, and act like a jerk, after taking a bad beat?"

when's the phil hellmuth car coming out.

this article is just absolute futility. I thought it could never get worse. the world champ has proven me wrong time and time again.

augie00 12-09-2005 01:00 PM

Re: Hellmuth\'s revolutionary articles

phil should know, cardplayer does not allow bad beat articles!

colgin 12-09-2005 01:20 PM

Wow, I learned so much about poker from that article. Thanks, Phil. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

12-09-2005 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
phil should know, cardplayer does not allow bad beat articles!

[/ QUOTE ]

He is just pointing out that if it wasn't for luck, Phil would win them all [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Vincent Lepore 12-09-2005 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Second, if he had a pocket pair, I did not want him to hit his card because I merely called him on the flop. Calling him here would be giving him, in effect, a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Phil were you happy that he called your raise because now you didn't give him a free card?

How many of you agree with this reason Phil gave for raising here? Not wanting to give a free card to a two outer?

Vince

UATrewqaz 12-09-2005 04:09 PM

How about raising because you almost certainly are way ahead and the guy still has a hand he likes (AA/AK/QQ, etc.) thus you can clean him out of chips.

and I suck!

jeffraider 12-09-2005 04:11 PM

Wow if I were Hellmuth and I played the hand this poorly I'd definitely not tell anyone.

Howard Treesong 12-09-2005 04:21 PM

I don't.

The fact that Unbluffable bet out the flop strongly suggests that Phil's trips are going to get paid: unless an A comes, Unbluffable looks committed. If so, Phil can get his money in as an even bigger favorite on the turn, and giving a free card really doesn't matter.

It puts Phil in a tough spot if another K hits the board, but that's the only card that would appear to hurt his hand; on any other turn card, he has an easy decision against a committed opponent who is drawing thin.

Me, I'd give the free card here. I'd be sad if an A came and Unbluffable check-folded. I'd be sad if a K came and Unbluffable bet big into me; I'd consider folding. And I'd be sad if Unbluffable hit his pocket pair and check-called my all-in. The sadness total here is too small to worry about, and I see myself permitting a free card.

I will also note that if someone played 5s4s against Phil's QQ and got there, he'd surely get an earful from Phil. Moreover, if that someone flopped 55K and the turn hit Phil's Q, Philly-boy would almost certainly regard that as a just result and berate his opponent then, too.

I also note that while I don't have as much fame or mobney as Phil, I don't need to resort to either notion to comfort myself after inevitabilities like this one.

Hauser_III 12-09-2005 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't have as much fame or mobney as Phil

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care too much for mobney, 'cause mobney can't buy me love.

12-09-2005 06:51 PM

I liked this part...

[ QUOTE ]
Once more, I’m embarrassed by my own conduct, even more so because this is the UltimateBet.com Poker Classic in Aruba, and I’m an ambassador for UB. I should have said, “Nice hand, sir,” and calmly walked away from the table. I should have shown the class that a WSOP champion ought to show. But, I am, after all, the Poker Brat! (Still, I can’t say I’m proud of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he can't just leave it at that. He then proceeds to essplain, in esscroosheeating detail exactly how he wuz robbed!

It's a case of either he'll never learn, or he's riding his one-trick pony til it drops.