Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Who's More Successful? SNL Edition (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=354510)

Soul Daddy 10-10-2005 01:43 PM

Re: Who\'s More Successful? SNL Edition

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a huge Murray fan, but even I can't think of any criteria in which Murphy should not be winning. Anyone who thinks otherwise is too young to realize how huge of a star he was in the 80's. And it was well earned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I think Murrays continuous success vs Murphys 8 years of superstardom makes it close.

[/ QUOTE ]
This success you speak of is what exactly? Indie cred? He has undoubtedly made some great movies over the years. Somehow, the absolute stinkers and mail-ins go completely unnoticed. Regardless, a solid 30 year career is nowhere near as successful as being the biggest star in the world for a decade.

samjjones 10-10-2005 01:47 PM

Outside of Ghostbusters, Stripes, and Groundhog Day, Murray's pictures have not done great boxoffice.

WDC 10-10-2005 01:49 PM

I voted Bill Murray. I think that Billy Crystal and Robert Downey Jr should have been in the poll.

IndieMatty 10-10-2005 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a huge Murray fan, but even I can't think of any criteria in which Murphy should not be winning. Anyone who thinks otherwise is too young to realize how huge of a star he was in the 80's. And it was well earned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I think Murrays continuous success vs Murphys 8 years of superstardom makes it close.

[/ QUOTE ]
This success you speak of is what exactly? Indie cred? He has undoubtedly made some great movies over the years. Somehow, the absolute stinkers and mail-ins go completely unnoticed. Regardless, a solid 30 year career is nowhere near as successful as being the biggest star in the world for a decade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, yeah, agreed.

samjjones 10-10-2005 01:53 PM

Valid points.

Tailgunner 10-10-2005 02:01 PM

Dan Akroyd starred in more films, wrote more, produced more, had more guest appearances and overall has been a great deal more prolific than Bill Murray in nearly all respects. The only thing Bill completely outshines him in is the number of awards he has won, and you can probably make an argument for popularity in Bill's favor as well. Chevy Chase is right up there with them, especially with his Walk of Fame star. It was a tough call, but in the end I had to vote for Dan.

Had Steve Martin been on the list it wouldn't even be close [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="teal">~TG</font> [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Ulysses 10-10-2005 02:04 PM

Good poll. I voted Eddie Murphy and don't think it's very close.

Asufiji2004 10-10-2005 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good poll. I voted Eddie Murphy and don't think it's very close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed totally. I believe I read somewhere that Murphy has the biggest box office gross among movies released during the summer months. Plus Raw wins this alone.

samjjones 10-10-2005 02:17 PM

Delirious &gt; Raw, IMO.

ChicagoTroy 10-10-2005 02:19 PM

An oscar nomination is pretty serious cred for a former comic.