Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Pure Heads Up Poker-The Sweet Science (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=408212)

12-31-2005 03:02 PM

Re: Pure Heads Up Poker-The Sweet Science

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've learned a lot from these forums. I don't mind sharing what I have learned.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool, it's good you think that way. I just prefer not to give away things to those I may face and make them better players. Actually, I doubt many posters here play at my level so I'm not sure they would understand what I was talking about. I'm all about helping players reach higher limits as that helps me too (getting bad players to play at levels beyond their talent).

Unfortunately, I've tried to explain a certain techniques before and got bashed for it by $10 players (lol), so I'm deciding whether it's worth the effort. Probably still is.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there's anything I've learned from reading books, playing, and reading forums, is that there is always another way to play a hand... especially in a HU match. When HU, different styles work for different people. It is up to the individual to find a style that works best for him, and try out new strategies. Notice there is no book written specifically on "Heads up Play." (I think Matt Matros may write one).

Anyway, I would love to hear your HU insight, and I will share some of mine.

PrayingMantis 12-31-2005 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. The first 10 minutes (level 1) is the trapping/study period. Do not get yourself behind in this period. You are not going to be chasing or bluff raising too much here. This is your time to understand the proclivities of your opponent. If you run up against an aggro raiser like IrieGuy, don't worry, he will get his comeuppance soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of hands can be played in 10 minutes in an online HU game, so in fact you can learn a lot about your opp (if you're good enough) even in much less than 10 mintues. Limiting yourself in those 10 mintues to only studying or trapping is giving up on a lot of EV, since most of the players play very poorly when stacks are relatively deep (and also when stacks are not so deep, in different ways of course).

Many poor players on many buy-in levels will make enormous mistakes in those first ten mintues, there's no reason to sit back and not exploiting it, using your whole arsenal.

citanul 12-31-2005 03:07 PM

jukel, if what your post is is an admission that you intend to contribute nothing to this forum, i will take it as exactly that, and do with you what we do with such people.

c

jmillerdls 12-31-2005 03:45 PM

must be a small sample size then, because this simply could not be the case

TheNoodleMan 12-31-2005 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The beauty of HU games is the low variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to break it to you but you're wrong. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

you have 0 of 1 do you see why posts remaining.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, sir

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't feel too bad, I wasted mine too.
Citanul was much harsher back then, but it was good for me.

FlyWf 12-31-2005 07:33 PM

I'll ignore everything else you wrote about, you know, poker and focus on your first sentence. "Parlay"? "Freeroll"? That smells of a gambling problem in the making. That isn't a good way to think about this stuff.