Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   $33: Line check on turn scare card, lvl 2, JJ hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=339681)

downtown 09-18-2005 10:45 PM

$33: Line check on turn scare card, lvl 2, JJ hand

No reads, batches. Comments on all streets welcome.

NL Texas Hold'em $30 Buy-in + $3 Entry Fee Level:2 Blinds(15/30) - Sunday, September 18, 22:14:31 EDT 2005
Table Table 12877 (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 1: silkyness ( $525 )
Seat 2: Hero ( $1015 )
Seat 3: flyinJake ( $795 )
Seat 4: mrwrister ( $405 )
Seat 5: MrWildcat ( $3065 )
Seat 8: GordonGecko1 ( $895 )
Seat 9: plumb77 ( $725 )
Seat 10: Deadeye32581 ( $575 )
Level:2
Blinds(15/30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Js Jc ]
>You have options at Table 12981 Table!.
MrWildcat folds.
>You have options at Table 11647 Table!.
GordonGecko1 raises [60].
plumb77 folds.
Deadeye32581 folds.
silkyness folds.
Hero calls [60].
flyinJake folds.
mrwrister calls [30].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Qh, Qc, 4c ]
mrwrister checks.
GordonGecko1 bets [120].
Hero calls [120].
mrwrister folds.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2c ]
GordonGecko1 bets [125].
Hero is all-In [835]

kyro 09-18-2005 10:46 PM

Re: $33: Line check on turn scare card, lvl 2, JJ hand

I hate not reraising PF here. I hate not raising the flop here.

Edit: I missed the third person in there. That makes it closer to a call on the flop but I probably still raise. But I've raised PF so things are different.

downtown 09-19-2005 10:28 AM

Bump for morning people. I am skeptical of the line I took here and I appreciate other comments, the harsher the better!

45suited 09-19-2005 10:37 AM

I think that you're ahead... but I like calling the turn because a) you might not be and b) there are more river cards that will likely help you than hurt you.

Not very deep analysis, but I like just calling the turn. Your call will likely be quite scary to him if he does not have a Q. If he is ahead, you have the club draw going for you now, so I'd just call.

Ha, I just re-read the title of your post... I don't really see the 3rd club as a scare card. It's a heads-up pot, I don't see any reason why I wouldn't like a 4th club to come on the river.

Indiana 09-19-2005 12:03 PM

You absolutely have to raise on this flop to find out where you are at. If you don't you will play a guessing game to a large turn bet and u will have wild fluctuations in your play usually coming out behind. I also think u can raise preflop but finding out where u are on the flop is of utmost importance. If you are just called you can begin to put him on a range on hands. Then bet the turn and check behind on river. Of course, if he comes over the top along the way or pops the river into you then you gotta lay it down.

Indy

45suited 09-19-2005 01:22 PM

I just disagree with this completely. I probably 'raise to find out where I'm at' less than almost anybody on this forum. Sometimes calling is just fine, and I think that this is one of those spots.

Raising to find out where you're at can get pretty dicey when it involves crippling you in the process. We've got position on the villain, calling the flop seems fine to me. Let's see what develops on the turn. The turn, I would just call as well.

Keep in mind that the flop may well be scary to the villain as well. Let's not give him too much credit. No need to raise this flop, IMO. Then again, I don't have a problem making a difficult call now and then either. Alot of the chips that I make are made from playing hands from behind and letting people bluff into me.

With position, I like calling the flop here and seeing what develops.

Indiana 09-19-2005 01:32 PM

Perhaps u can escape without raising and I am missing something. Thing is, if you dont raise you really havent put any fear in his heart so you don't know what his large river bet will mean right (because he will bet again)?

Indy

kyro 09-19-2005 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps u can escape without raising and I am missing something. Thing is, if you dont raise you really havent put any fear in his heart so you don't know what his large river bet will mean right (because he will bet again)?

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't raise to find out where you are. You raise because you probably have the best hand and because you're vulnerable to a number of turn cards. Raising to "find out where you are" in a shallow-stacked game like SNGs is usually a bad idea.

45suited 09-19-2005 01:36 PM

Thing is, there's really not that many turn cards that scare me here. Four kings and four aces. Two of which give me a high flush draw anyway.

kyro 09-19-2005 01:39 PM

8 cards is enough to scare me. It's more than 8 anyways. You can't just ignore the flush draw out there.