Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   I had the same hand dealt to me twice in a row... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=278269)

DavidC 06-22-2005 02:39 PM

I had the same hand dealt to me twice in a row...

Exactly, suits and all. 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]...

Now, they were even in the same order of cards dealt to me, but I'm going to ignore that. (although this makes it MUCH more rare! (7 million to one?))

---

Hands: 52 * 51 / 2 (two ways of getting each hand).

1250ish?

Chances of getting two in a row are therefore over a million to one (1.7 million to one)?

Is that true?

I don't particularly care about these sorts of things, but I'm curious.

Edit: By comparison, the chances of getting a pair of aces twice in a row is only something like 50,000 to one, using this formula.

12ozLongneck 06-22-2005 02:42 PM

Re: I had the same hand dealt to me twice in a row...

Rigged!

JordanIB 06-22-2005 02:43 PM

I'm not sure of the odds, but if nothing else, this proves that online poker is rigged.

DavidC 06-22-2005 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure of the odds, but if nothing else, this proves that online poker is rigged.

[/ QUOTE ]

We already know online poker is rigged... I'm kinda curious about the math steps I've taken here though...

Catt 06-22-2005 02:48 PM

It's only like 1300+ to 1. You were dealt 92; the chances of 92 (same suits) coming next hand are (2/52)*(1/51).

It would be 1M+ to 1 to be dealt the same hand twice in a row if you named the hand before it was dealt to you the first time, i.e., before the first deal you wagered you'd be dealt 92 (same suit) twice in a row, then you'd need some pretty astronomical odds to make your wager. Once a hand is dealt, you only need exceptional odds to wager that it will come again next hand.

JordanIB 06-22-2005 02:54 PM

A similar circumstance provides proof -- although less solid -- that online poker is rigged.

You know how many times I'll be multi-tabling, and at 2 or 3 tables I get dealt the same exact hand. Or sometimes, on one table I'll get Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and on the other I'll get Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Rigggggged!

pryor15 06-22-2005 02:58 PM

or my favorite: you get dealt KK on 2 tables at the same time and an A flops on both (why wouldn't it?)

grrrr...

Stuey 06-22-2005 02:59 PM

If this never ever happened then poker would indeed be rigged and I am sure we would never notice. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

DavidC 06-22-2005 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's only like 1300+ to 1. You were dealt 92; the chances of 92 (same suits) coming next hand are (2/52)*(1/51).

It would be 1M+ to 1 to be dealt the same hand twice in a row if you named the hand before it was dealt to you the first time, i.e., before the first deal you wagered you'd be dealt 92 (same suit) twice in a row, then you'd need some pretty astronomical odds to make your wager. Once a hand is dealt, you only need exceptional odds to wager that it will come again next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point. Thanks.

The other thing that I've thought about this:

Say I'd played 350k hands and the odds were 7m:1

You could say that the chances of this happening to me were about 5%.

But then I thought that you'd need samples of 2 hands, so it'd be 40:1.

But then I thought that if you grouped the samples as follows: 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, then it's about 20:1 still. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

However, there's always the chance that I'm going to get this hand twice, and i have NO IDEA how to take that into consideration.

Thanks for your help, once again.

--Dave.

Aaron W. 06-22-2005 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*DING* *DING* *DING* We have a winner!