Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   My biggest hand to date, should I even have been involved? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=389345)

ajmargarine 12-01-2005 05:38 PM

My biggest hand to date, should I even have been involved?

Game is a fishtank. Critiques welcome on preflop and flop play. I think preflop might be OK?!? And on the flop, I played that with my eyes closed while holding my breath, but I think it was the right line, no?

Hero ($210)--bought in $250, lost previous hand AQ vs all-in shorties 77, didn't reload yet.
MP1 ($650)
MP2 ($550)--big fish
CO ($166)--average player: if I set up, won't be able to let go of TP or overpair.

$1/$3 NLHE 8-handed (1/3 blinds, $6 is minbet on turn)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
Hero calls $3, 1 fold, MP1 calls $3, MP2 calls $3, CO raises to $18, 3 folds, Hero calls $15, MP1 calls $15, MP2 raises to $36, CO calls $18, Hero calls $18, MP1 calls $18.

Flop: ($144) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (4 players) </font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets $31, CO pushes all-in for $130, Hero calls $130, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $99.

Turn: ($534) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (3 players, 1 all-in) </font>
Hero pushes all-in for $44, MP2 calls $44.

River: ($622) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (3 players, 2 all-in) </font>

Results in white:

<font color="white">Hero shows 66, three of a kind sixes
MP2 shows JTo, for Jack high.
CO shows JJ, for one pair of Jacks
Hero scoops the biggest pot he can remember taking down, $622</font>

beavens 12-01-2005 05:40 PM

Re: My biggest hand to date, should I even have been involved?

without looking at the results i like it - the c-c on the flop mightve been a little dangerous, but everyone was aggro so it worked out.

you're probably going up against AA and JJ or somethin'

nh.

.edit (in white as not to spoil)

<font color="white"> JTo - WTF????? </font>

teamdonkey 12-01-2005 05:55 PM

preflop i lay this down to the initial raise. you're on the high end of the 5/10 rule, out of position, and getting poor pot odds. The second time around its an easy call.

I really like the flop check. 3 players behind you, 2 of them raised preflop, and you're in no rush to build a pot. I think pushing is better than calling when it comes back to you, but thats minor.

Leptyne 12-01-2005 05:56 PM

My first reaction was to lead the flop, but as I considered the preflop betting and stack sizes I think your check was the better play.

The only negative I see is calling 15% of your stack preflop. You're a 7 1/2 - 1 dog and you want to get 10X your preflop when you hit these. Very poor odds to call this, but how sweet it is when you hit. When you lead a good clean life you get breaks like this. Where do I find this game?

GrunchCan 12-01-2005 06:06 PM

I think the rule of 5 &amp; 10 makes preflop a clear fold, but I must admit that given your position, the structure and the huge overlay, I would have been very tempted to call too.

Was this a live game?

Edit: Oh, aside from the preflop action, the rest seems fine to me.

ajmargarine 12-01-2005 06:12 PM

No, it wasn't live...happened about an hour ago online. (am playing a $2/$5 game at the moment following a few of these fish around) [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Preflop. $15 to call first one. Barely within 5/10, no? And second call has to be made I think regardless of 5/10.

EDIT: sat down at this 2/5 table with the MP1 and MP2 of the OP hand. I played one orbit, paying blinds only, didn't get a hand. Within that orbit MP1 and MP2 dropped about $500 between them and left...and so I left too, back to where the waters are calmer for my current temperment and bankroll.

12-01-2005 06:15 PM

I think you got squeezed pre-flop but always made the right decision. Ignore this if you haven't looked at the results and I know its not kosher, but could you tell us MP2's screenname? He would be on my buddy list for life.

teamdonkey 12-01-2005 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop. $15 to call first one. Barely within 5/10, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

5/10 only applies when you have position. You're just barely under 10, and as far OOP as you can get. Second call is easy as you're getting 6-1 immediate pot odds.

ajmargarine 12-01-2005 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5/10 only applies when you have position.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's news to me. I can see that with sc's. But pp's shouldn't matter.

emil3000 12-01-2005 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop. $15 to call first one. Barely within 5/10, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

5/10 only applies when you have position. You're just barely under 10, and as far OOP as you can get. Second call is easy as you're getting 6-1 immediate pot odds.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this, I don't thinkn the first call is profitable.