Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Handreading (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=394628)

Mercman572 12-09-2005 01:16 AM

Handreading

Villain is 95/15/2.5/18. He has shown that he is using some kind of rational thinking; he equates my raises to mean big cards and will challenge CB's when small cards flop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP ($233.07)
CO ($163.15)
Button ($106.70)
SB ($100.33)
BB ($100.45)
Hero ($122.16)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
[color=#CC3333]Hero raises to $4</font>, MP calls $4, [color=#666666]2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $3.50, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($13) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]SB bets $3</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises to $10</font>

Thoughts? He normally bets more, he wants to draw cheaply or has a weak part of the board are my thoughts. I thought about raising more but thought my raise amount was the best way to represent AK/KQ to him.

Fallen Hero 12-09-2005 01:24 AM

Re: Handreading

I like it, usually when people lead weakly into the pf raiser they aren't big fans of their hands.

ajmargarine 12-09-2005 02:06 AM

Hate it. Will be extremely surprised if villian folds to that-sized bet.

PokerFink 12-09-2005 02:16 AM

Merc,

I'm a big fan of raising weak bets in poisition. However, if you're going to make a smallish raise, you're going to get a lot of calls which means you have to bomb the turn too.

Just pot raise the flop, that should help weed them out.

-Fink

Mercman572 12-09-2005 02:16 AM

Surprise [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Mercman572 12-09-2005 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Merc,

I'm a big fan of raising weak bets in poisition. However, if you're going to make a smallish raise, you're going to get a lot of calls which means you have to bomb the turn too.

Just pot raise the flop, that should help weed them out.

-Fink

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, sound advice. At the time I didn't realize how proportionally small my bet was. I'd been only playing 2 tables rather than 4 because I felt I needed to be more aware of situations like this. I feel like places like this were missed before, and if I'm in tune enough to a player hopefully I'll be able to consitently be able to find the minimum amount that I can bet to induce a fold if my read on his hand is correct (larger than what I made would inarguably be better in most cases). There had been some 2nd level playing on this table as I hinted at in the OP and I guess I'm just happy to have realized that (and squeaked by with the minimum semibluff bet I could make)

aces_dad 12-09-2005 02:26 AM

You also have MP left to act, who may be biased to call knowing SB will then be getting better odds to call as well, so I like the PSB for this.

Mercman572 12-09-2005 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You also have MP left to act, who may be biased to call knowing SB will then be getting better odds to call as well, so I like the PSB for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, forgot to mention that MP was super weaktight 48/0 with a WTSD of 10% after 50 hands. With the bet raise it might or might not matter the raise size, I was banking that it didn't.

Mercman572 12-09-2005 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hate it. Will be extremely surprised if villian folds to that-sized bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have just been thinking about this alot. I wasn't sure if my bet would be enough in most cases when I originally posted this, which is why I did. I think the ideal amount would have been a $12 raise, since I don't think he planned on putting much more than he bet, but I have to be right less often than a PSB (I think they have the same effect with my read) if he actually was intent on calling.

I'm trying to bridge the gap between "Typically a bet of X will accomplish y result" to "For this player, this bet means x, and by doing y I can manipulate him in the desired way"

Isura 12-09-2005 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Villain is 95/15/2.5/18.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll get WAY better spots to get your money in against this guy.