Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Texas Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Quotation from "Small Stakes Hold'em" (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=402210)

12-20-2005 05:49 PM

Quotation from \"Small Stakes Hold\'em\"

I just read "Small Stakes Hold'em" for the second time and I wonder about what is said in the beginning under "Why This Book..." Sklansky suggests "Making well over $50.000 per year playing $3-6 hold'em is now no big deal." This could be done "because you can play two or three games at once". Is this expactation realistic? It seems a little high to me. Is there any 2+2er who could confirm it's possible based on experience? Anyone else with ideas and thoughts about it please post your views about expectations at low limit hold'em.

damaniac 12-20-2005 05:53 PM

Re: Quotation from \"Small Stakes Hold\'em\"

They are presumably referring to the internet, where many 2+2ers play 4-8 tables, some play 10. In fact, I assume that virtually all online players at 2+2 probably play more than 1 table at a time.

12-20-2005 06:01 PM

$50,000 is an average of $137 per day . . . say you play for 8 hours (including weekends) . . . then you need to make $17.13 per hour (roughly 3bb per hour) . . . if you play 3 tables that is 1bb per hour, per table . . . Play 6 tables and you only need to work for 4 hours instead of 8 . . . etc.

1bb/hr (per table) is a very reasonable win rate for 3/6, you just need to play sightly better than the average Joe at your table =)

SackUp 12-20-2005 06:03 PM

This post probably should go in the general forum as this is for strategy. But, to answer your question, I would say that this is definitely possible. You can make half of that in RB and bonuses alone. He is definitely talking about someone playing fairly full-time and not part time, but highly doable.

12-20-2005 06:03 PM

Yes I'm aware of that, maybe I wasn't clear about my question. May I put it this way: Is it realististic to win more than 50 gran a year on 3/6 (or 5/10) playing 3 tables only following the guidelines of "Small Stakes Hold'em" (and do it well of course) without any extraordinary "expert" skills?
I believe that is what Sklansky says or am I misinterpreting him?

12-20-2005 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I'm aware of that, maybe I wasn't clear about my question. May I put it this way: Is it realististic to win more than 50 gran a year on 3/6 (or 5/10) playing 3 tables only following the guidelines of "Small Stakes Hold'em" (and do it well of course) without any extraordinary "expert" skills?

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally would rather kill myself than play 4 table SSHE as a full time job, but yes it is very doable, especially with bonuses.

12-20-2005 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In order to eke out the maximum edge, you will have to deviate from the book's advice at times. The key is to know when those times are.

12-20-2005 06:23 PM

OK, how high is the SSH strategy working alone (talking online poker)? 5/10?

livinitup0 12-20-2005 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just read "Small Stakes Hold'em" for the second time and I wonder about what is said in the beginning under "Why This Book..." Sklansky suggests "Making well over $50.000 per year playing $3-6 hold'em is now no big deal." This could be done "because you can play two or three games at once". Is this expactation realistic? It seems a little high to me. Is there any 2+2er who could confirm it's possible based on experience? Anyone else with ideas and thoughts about it please post your views about expectations at low limit hold'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt even read most of this or the responses. This was talked about to DEATH in the magazine forum. It would be a waste of time to discuss it again.

bobbyi 12-20-2005 08:21 PM

If you liked that quote, you'll love the the editor's note to last month's 2+2 magazine where Ed Miller says "Now it seems like maybe that number should be more like $200,000."