Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Defending BB (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=333023)

jakbse 09-09-2005 06:55 AM

Defending BB

In my session last night I was getting crappy hands all the way and ended up with VPIP of 7/6 instead of normal 15/8.

One of the players to my right seemed to pay attention and kept doing steal raises when I was in the BB.

I wanted to loosen up a bit from BB but I don't know really which hands to add. I normally defend anything I would limp with from LP, but I feel this is not the right strategy since for example small suited connectors doesn't play very well HU.

I also got this idea of calling with nothing, call his flop bet and check raise him on the turn, hopefully he would fold and calm down a bit..?

He was SLA.

What do you do in this situation?

lautzutao 09-09-2005 07:03 AM

Re: Defending BB

I'm not sure if this is sound advice but, pick a hand and play back at him. Raise it up with anything. He's probably not raising with much, and even with two overcards he's only a 3 to 2 favorite over you. If you do this only once, he'll think twice before attempting a steal.

There is also a great thread in the HUSH section started by sthief09 I believe that talks about defending out of the BB and how to go about it. It is must reading...

This is the link

MATT111 09-09-2005 07:07 AM

I`d start with adding any ace. You may also add suited kings down to K5s. It obviously depends on how frequently villain tries to steal.

@bsolute_luck 09-09-2005 07:34 AM

find the starting hands chart for 6-max which includes a blind defense chart- apply this to BB. SB blind defense generally speaking is 3-bet or fold.

do a search for blind defense- there has been a number of good posts: i think Wookie had one, deception5 had one, droolie might have had one, sthief in HUSH.

aK13 09-09-2005 07:53 AM

Your thinking is very incorrect when it comes to blind defense.

You should be more willing to play a hand like 87o than QTo vs. a blind steal. The reason is because with QTo, you are frequently dominated, while with 87o are much more likely to be live a very large portion of the time.

However, take note that you should be 3betting for value hand like A8s+, ATo+, KQ+, 66+ if they frequently steal.

With a hand like 87o, you want to check/raise any flop that is super ragged or you flop a draw, since you will have some good fold equity as well as lots of outs to improve. Take note that flop texture is EXTREMELY important in deciding whether to check/raise or just check/fold (for example, c/r is much better on a T65 board than KQT)

Blind defense is not easy, and many high stakes players/6max players (where blind stealing is much more frequent) have trouble with it.

jakbse 09-09-2005 10:32 AM

Thx, any hints of good reading about blind defence? SSHE doesn't say much.
I've recently moved up to 1/2, and steal attempts seem to be common practice around there so I really need to build some knowledge.

Link774 09-09-2005 10:39 AM

HEPFAP has some information on blind stealing/defending.

davelin 09-09-2005 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my session last night I was getting crappy hands all the way and ended up with VPIP of 7/6 instead of normal 15/8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your normal game is too tight and doesn't raise enough.

MrWookie47 09-09-2005 01:16 PM

Try this, and some of the links in here.

Rev. Good Will 09-09-2005 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your normal game is too tight and doesn't raise enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is becoming a common trouter problem