Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Wimpy hand against FossilMan (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=85673)

The Gift Of Gab 05-12-2004 09:31 PM

Wimpy hand against FossilMan

I'm in a nice three-handed 5-10 NLHE game on Stars, with a loose-passive spot on my left and a loose-aggressive spot on my right, when Greg Raymer sits down right behind me, destroying my perfect seat. For the unfamiliar, FossilMan is an excellent tournament and cash game player who gives good advice on the tourney forums.

FossilMan opens for 30 UTG. This is his standard open and he seems to be doing this with a lot of hands, though I haven't seen many shown down. He has about a grand and I cover. Loose-passive calls, SB folds, and I call 20 more in the BB with AJo.

Flop (95) is 334r. I check, Greg bets 70, passive folds and I call.

Turn (235) is the Js, the second spade. We both check.

River (235) is the Qs for a board of 334JQ with three spades. I check and call 160.

I'm hoping to drag FossilMan away from the short-stack ridiculousness of the tourney forum and into the real big-bet forum.

theBruiser500 05-13-2004 12:10 AM

Re: Wimpy hand against FossilMan

[ QUOTE ]
I'm hoping to drag FossilMan away from the short-stack ridiculousness of the tourney forum and into the real big-bet forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. I PMed him before asking why he just posted on the touranment forum and he said that's all he had time for. What I was really wondering is, why the tournament forum instead of Pot No-Limit, obviously this forum is superior.

cornell2005 05-13-2004 01:59 AM

you hoping to check raise turn then river made you check call?

Acesover8s 05-13-2004 02:51 AM

I like to bet the turn here, if you check-raise and you get reraised you aren't happy, but you are committed. It also sets up those times that you lead out when a scare card hits.

River play looks right, although I would certainly expect to drag the pot.

I have a secret strategy for playing against Raymer, although I've only done it in Omaha, I think it would work in holdem too. . . . .

If he sits down, you stand up.

Ulysses 05-13-2004 08:57 PM

Bump so Greg notices this one too.

dogsballs 05-13-2004 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to bet the turn here, if you check-raise and you get reraised you aren't happy, but you are committed. It also sets up those times that you lead out when a scare card hits.

River play looks right, although I would certainly expect to drag the pot.

I have a secret strategy for playing against Raymer, although I've only done it in Omaha, I think it would work in holdem too. . . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a secret strategy for playing against you in PLO too..!

...get great big hands and make sure I hit the flop.

fwiw, I like you're thinking in the hand posted, esp re setting up future steals.

Greg (FossilMan) 05-13-2004 10:46 PM

I noticed it, but I don't remember the hand.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

theBruiser500 05-13-2004 10:50 PM

It doesn't look like you're getting a lot of feedback here GoG, sorry but I can assure you it's not because we're ignoring the thread. I don't know about other people, but I have nothing to offer and I'm waiting for you and Fossilman to give some free poker lessons in explaining these hands.

The Gift Of Gab 05-14-2004 07:03 AM

Results

He turned over A6o and I won.

On the flop I was pretty sure I had the best hand, but there were a lot of ways I could lose the pot. Still, if FossilMan was going to be on my left, I had to let him know he couldn't take all the little ones without a fight. His river bet made me think maybe this was a bad call, because it's hard for me to win if I don't make a pair.

I thought about betting the turn but it seemed like I was almost certainly ahead and that he probably had few outs. If the river had been a card smaller than a jack I would have bet, but there were enough big cards out there that it seemed like checking was the play.

Greg (FossilMan) 05-14-2004 09:15 AM

Re: Results

lol. I still don't remember the hand.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)