Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   A hand a friend and I discussed (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=387662)

PokerBob 11-29-2005 03:09 PM

A hand a friend and I discussed

I am the worst player ever, so a friend of mine has looked at a few of my hands. We disagreed a bit about this one. Button here is pretty TAGgy (22/18/2). BB is a monkey (46/16). Comments on all streets appreciated.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (9.16 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

River: (12.16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 12.16 BB

MrWookie47 11-29-2005 03:11 PM

Re: A hand a friend and I discussed

I think you bet this river. Button may not call you with his K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A, but BB will call with whatever he has.

PokerBob 11-29-2005 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you bet this river. Button may not call you with his K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A, but BB will call with whatever he has.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you folding to a raise?

Chairman Wood 11-29-2005 03:13 PM

Bet the river.

Chairman Wood 11-29-2005 03:15 PM

From who?

Wynton 11-29-2005 03:15 PM

I bet river, and call a raise. But I don't think you're getting raised.

PokerBob 11-29-2005 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From who?

[/ QUOTE ]

button.

Chairman Wood 11-29-2005 03:17 PM

I really think the likely hood of you getting raised is pretty close to nil also.

Weatherhead03 11-29-2005 03:19 PM

Easy river value bet IMO. Call a raise.

milesdyson 11-29-2005 03:25 PM

EASY EASY RIVER BET DERG (this makes me lol), LOOK, HE CHECKED THROUGH.

put yourself in button's shoes here and you'll find that the only hand that fits and we beat is AK[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and he isn't calling a bet on the river with it. sure there is value vs. BB, but it really is a balancing act against the button. i think if we give him a reasonable range, i bet it's close whether or not the bet spent here to get value vs. BB is well spent when button will have us beaten here a decent amount of the time.

i think i'd check raise the flop. if i were sure this guy would bet all his AK/AQ, then i'd really be happy about check raising the flop.

Wes ManTooth 11-29-2005 03:33 PM

I think I would have check raised this flop as well. What type of hand do you put the button on after he called the flop and the turn, also considering that he 3 bet preflop and he is fairly TAG?

Nottom 11-29-2005 03:49 PM

This is a pretty easy river bet IMO. If the button has you beat and is good he will bet when you check most of the time anyway so you don't save much with a check. Raising at this point for him is terrible for pretty much anyhand, so I wouldn't worry about that either.

The important thing to recognize is that even if your value against the button is quite small or slightly negative (which I don't think is true) the presence of the BB adds a ton of value to your bet which makes checking that much worse.

PassiveCaller 11-29-2005 04:14 PM

On the flop I'd rather check raise here and hope to have, Bet-call-Raise, and not face the BB with multiple bets on average.

Turn is fine obviously.

On the river You've got top pair good kicker and besides the flop no one has shown much strength. I'd expect the BB to hold a myraid of worse hands that will call including worse Jacks, Tens, and maybe even worse if he gets suspicious and thinks you had the lone Ac. The button will call with less on the river but I think you're giving up too much checking the river here with the monkey.

jba 11-29-2005 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet river, and call a raise. But I don't think you're getting raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

jrbick 11-29-2005 05:15 PM

check-raise flop... capping if possible. Betting river is good. The only hand I can see raising the river is a made flush, possibly a set (possibly).... mmm that's about it.

11-29-2005 06:17 PM

Buttons play looks like AJ,KQs(except KQc),QQ+,KQo imo. You are 50% vs this range. If you rank them for likelyhood I would say KQo,AJo are a little less likely because of the preflop action. So you arent looking good vs this range(if you remove KQo you have 25% equity). Now what hands will villain raise? Imo he wont raise any of them. I believe our equity is around 35% vs buttons range. Now how often will we beat BBs hand and how often will he call? Imo we need BB to call every time with a worse hand for it to be +EV (0.35*.1=&gt;1/3). So this isnt a valuebet. Check call.

11-29-2005 06:29 PM

Bet the river.

bobbyi 11-29-2005 06:38 PM

I would check-raise the flop because there are lots of ways for BB to think his hand is worth peeling on this board and I want to trap him in the middle rather than facing him with two cold. Button might not even raise for you if you bet and that sucks even more.

Checking this river is just bad.

Nottom 11-29-2005 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buttons play looks like AJ,KQs(except KQc),QQ+,KQo imo. You are 50% vs this range. If you rank them for likelyhood I would say KQo,AJo are a little less likely because of the preflop action. So you arent looking good vs this range(if you remove KQo you have 25% equity). Now what hands will villain raise? Imo he wont raise any of them. I believe our equity is around 35% vs buttons range. Now how often will we beat BBs hand and how often will he call? Imo we need BB to call every time with a worse hand for it to be +EV (0.35*.1=&gt;1/3). So this isnt a valuebet. Check call.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this math is that you ignore the fact that when you check, the button will bet with most of the hands that have you beat so you lose that bet anyway.

11-29-2005 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this math is that you ignore the fact that when you check, the button will bet with most of the hands that have you beat so you lose that bet anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well in my analysis you dont beat any hand anyway(tie with a few) so you might as well let him bluff and if BB raises you can fold.

PokerBob 11-29-2005 07:28 PM

for those of you that want to bet the river......

......what are you giving button here, and are you folding to a raise?

PokerBob 11-30-2005 07:44 AM

Re: for those of you that want to bet the river......

[ QUOTE ]
......what are you giving button here, and are you folding to a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

BUMP

adsman 11-30-2005 08:02 AM

I was just wondering, if you bet, the button raises and the BB calls two cold, is it reasonable to assume that you're no good?

PokerBob 11-30-2005 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just wondering, if you bet, the button raises and the BB calls two cold, is it reasonable to assume that you're no good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say so, but the way BB played he clearly is somewhat retarded so we may be able to discount his overcall a bit. But IMO a raise from button would mean that we are cooked here. Then again, I later played this hand against him, so who knows.

xwillience 11-30-2005 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, how can you assume your beat at all? No one has shown aggression except for you and the button. It makes sense to put the Button on the Kc probably AK or KQ. BB is probably on the draw with a small pair or maybe just on the draw.

Also betting the river makes sense but i dont like check raising the flop. With a check raise your only going to get two bets in, i think its safe to assume that Button isnt going to reraise your check raise. Bet/raise gets the most money in the pot with the best draw and quite possibly the best hand. Also if Button caps your 3 bet you can be pretty sure your up against AA, KK, QQ. Probably KKc so i think there is value in getting that information. I like the way it played out except for the river check through. but im with DERG, i suck too.

PokerBob 11-30-2005 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, how can you assume your beat at all? No one has shown aggression except for you and the button. It makes sense to put the Button on the Kc probably AK or KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

he 3bet me pf, so IMO a hand like Kq from this guy was rather unlikely. i also don't think he is 3betting the flop with just AKc.

xwillience 11-30-2005 08:46 AM

what gives you the impression KQ is outta this guys range? because he didnt cap the the flop do you think AK is still possible?

adsman 11-30-2005 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, how can you assume your beat at all? No one has shown aggression except for you and the button. It makes sense to put the Button on the Kc probably AK or KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

he 3bet me pf, so IMO a hand like Kq from this guy was rather unlikely. i also don't think he is 3betting the flop with just AKc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you 3-bet the flop? I see KQo being reraised preflop with position quite regularly by TAG's at 2/4. But I think with KQ he would want to keep the donk in, no? So he probably wouldn't raise the flop. 99 is a possibility as well. I can't see him with a big pocket because he would have raised the turn when the safe card dropped. The turn card is also great for an overpair as it counterfits any flop top 2 pair. Does he 3 bet with small pockets when he's not in the blinds against a steal?

Looking at it more I really think that you're ahead on the river, bar donk-boy having coasted along all the way with a monster that he was waiting to checkraise the river with.

Peter Harris 11-30-2005 09:13 AM

Re: for those of you that want to bet the river......

I would put button on 99, KQ, AK, and BB on K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] x or Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the monkey coldcall. I think it's unlikely a Taggy player wouldn't cap the flop with KQ holding a club, or exactly Ax K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

If checkraised, I would lay down the river. I sincerely doubt we will.

Interested in hearing results.

EDIT: for more info, i stoved a Taggy 3bet on the button, assuming they don't read you for worth isolating with less than below [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

AA-77, AKs-ATs, AK-AT, KQs-KTs, KQ-KJ, QJs
vs
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

You hand has 75.8% equity on the turn, 74.3% on the turn and
73.7% on the river.

If we factor in the BB is along for his donkey ride holding Kc x (let x= 7s) or Qc x, the stove comes out thus:

Flop: You 72.3 - TAG 22.3 - BB 5.7
Turn: You 72.15 - TAG 24.7 - BB 3.15
River: You 73.8 - TAG 26.2 - BB 0

*even* if we let BB have a quite goot hand, say K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] we get this:

Flop: You 69.2 - TAG 18.4 - BB 12.4
Turn: You 70.3 - TAG 20.9 - BB 8.8
River: You 75.6 - TAG 24.4 - BB 0

I *really* think the river bet is good.

PokerBob 11-30-2005 07:04 PM

results

I am the worst player ever, so a friend of mine has looked at a few of my hands. We disagreed a bit about this one. Button here is pretty TAGgy (22/18/2). BB is a monkey (46/16). Comments on all streets appreciated.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (9.16 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

River: (12.16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 12.16 BB

I assumed villain had me beat, but iwas gonna see a SD no matter what. He showed AJo, BB showed QTo.