Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   I used to push Ace rag as a semi-shortstack in early position ... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403186)

John Hurst 12-22-2005 01:05 AM

I used to push Ace rag as a semi-shortstack in early position ...

With 6-8BB and Ace rag I used to push an unraised pot regardless of position. Now even with that short stack I'm looking for A8s or better to push UTG or UTG+1 and instead look for blind v. blind or late position opportunities. I don't have the calculations but experience has shown that picking up chips in late position is preferable to pushing a possibly dominated hand.

EasilyFound 12-22-2005 01:07 AM

Re: I used to push Ace rag as a semi-shortstack in early position ...

You ain't the only one. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

durron597 12-22-2005 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With 6-8BB and Ace rag I used to push an unraised pot regardless of position. Now even with that short stack I'm looking for A8s or better to push UTG or UTG+1 and instead look for blind v. blind or late position opportunities. I don't have the calculations but experience has shown that picking up chips in late position is preferable to pushing a possibly dominated hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do with JTs? I'd rather push that than Axo.

John Hurst 12-22-2005 01:16 AM

J10s with more than 6 people remaining and early position, I'm folding. Fewer people and better position it depends on chip stacks and tightness of the blinds.

12-22-2005 01:42 AM

I've begun to fold less than AT in this situation. Like you said, easily dominated. I'd much rather push two small cards as they are probably live if called. Not saying I would always push crap like this, just that i'd rather do it than with A-rag.
However, this is when there are 6 or more players left, maybe even 5. I'm always pushing on bubble.

GtrHtr 12-22-2005 02:54 AM

Its too late, you can't start posting more now. See your other thread.

pokerlaw 12-22-2005 03:27 AM

I like to push w/ 10X BB from late position and some limpers, ESPECIALLY if i have seen them limp a lot. i play low levels on Stars though ($5-$33 depending), so more time to get a feel for who will call and who is likely to fold to a push like that.

12-22-2005 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing an 8BB stack from UTG w/ hands like A6 is definately -EV. It does depend on the situation/blinds/number of players, but usually you can fold it. What do you do with hands like 55 there? KQ?

tigerite 12-22-2005 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you still calling Q5o with 7BB to a button push? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Just kidding John - this is good advice anyway, and is provable by ICM to be correct.

Snarf 12-22-2005 05:59 PM

Call me crazy...but I've seen good results pushing K x's... preferably good kings or suited kings...but even K4 o.... I'm usually in good shape against callers...on occassion I'm ahead of some donk calls. (QJish type hands)

I am having a love affair with Kx for pushing as shortie.