Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   99 with straight draw... maniacs at the table (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=104855)

Xiphoid 07-20-2004 08:45 PM

99 with straight draw... maniacs at the table

A few maniacs joined my tabled and turned it into a "cap every street" game. I knew on the flop that after it was raised, it would likely get capped... and who knows what would happen on the turn and river. Should I have called any bets though on the flop?

Even if I hit my straight, I'm likely splitting the pot with someone else, so this hurts my pot odds pretty badly. Did I make the correct fold?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (21 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (21.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (26.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.55 (All-In), MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 31.05 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 30.60 BB, between MP2 and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (30.60 BB).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 0.44 BB, returned to SB.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Ac 9h (straight, jack high).
MP2 shows Jc Jh (three of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: SB wins 31.04 BB. </font>

Sent 07-20-2004 08:51 PM

Re: 99 with straight draw... maniacs at the table

I don't think you can fold on the flop with an OESD like that for 2 more bets

-Sent

Jimbobobb 07-20-2004 08:57 PM

with 7 people seeing the flop, and 'maniacs' at the table, seems like you definitely have the odds to be hoping for a set or in this case a straight, and you'll have people to pay you off. Why would you fear splitting the pot though? You have 2 of the nines....chance of someone else having one is slim. I think you're looking too much at the results. You have an open-ended straight draw on the flop. If I remember correctly, the odds of you hitting by the river are 1.9 to 1. With people ready to call all the way at your table, I think you need to see the river.

sublime 07-20-2004 08:58 PM

Raise preflop

Your thinking on the flop is correct, but If I knew it was going to be raised I would either raise it myself or fold.

Xiphoid 07-20-2004 09:30 PM

Jimbo, I'm in Blacksburg too... VT student?

Basically, I was afraid of the snowball effect... I call one or two bets, it gets raised another one or two and this continues throughout the flop, turn and river. All along, I'm telling myself "keep going because it's a huge pot", but I chance to possibly lose 11 or 12BB.

sublime, I usually raise here, but I believe one of the players after me had just sat down and posted. Otherwise, I'll always raise first in or after one limper with 99.

I'm not really sure what I would do if this situation came up again. I guess the odds are there to see a turn card, as you all have suggested.

nepenthe 07-20-2004 10:51 PM

At no point in this hand can you dare fold. The pot is gigantic and you have an OESD. Terrible, terrible fold.

Jimbobobb 07-21-2004 03:21 AM

Yup, Tech indeed :-) Calling is fine. The pot is gigantic, and you have the odds to call. And the people to pay you off when you hit.

chief444 07-21-2004 08:13 AM

The only part I don't understand is the first flop call. If you anticipated and were so sure of the action to follow, but yet had no intention of calling the flop raises, then why call the first?

I do think you should have seen the turn here. I honestly would have raised the first flop bet. Even if you split the pot in the end you can see now that you had the odds to put in 4 flop bets.

afk 07-21-2004 08:39 AM

I think i would have:
Raised preflop.
Raised the flop.
Sorry dude, but I think your flop fold is terrible. With maniacs at the table, I'm probably seeing this draw to the river. Even with my lousy effective odds I think it's still profitable to play this hand.

Xiphoid 07-21-2004 09:48 AM

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm glad I posted this one because I played it incorrectly and missed out on a big pot.