Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Help me to rework my game (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=339921)

STLantny 09-19-2005 09:59 AM

Help me to rework my game

History:
Im 23
Started playing poker 3 years ago.
Quit my low paying during-college job, 1 year ago to play poker full time. I enjoyed it at first, but towards the end of the year, I got major burnout, and also went down on a terrible downswing (because of bad cards + play). I got a job in my field not to long ago, but planned on using my poker winnings as money to "blow", buying a car/motorcycle and crap like that. I withdrew most (all but about 1800$), to put in a money market, so when I graduate I can write a check for my tuition. Over the last month, I burnt through that 1800$ at 5/10 and 3/6. It was all bad play.

Whenever I sit at a table now, I have a subconscience anxiety in my head, I no longer have that zen-like thought that I know the cards will even out. After 2-3 bad beats I start to lose it. I have had one of the worst downswings, ever, and I know its not ALL bad play, but I need help recovering from it. I have no bankroll, but I have money I can use, and I want to start fresh.

I havent had any time off from poker in hte last couple years, ie, no reading the forums/playing/reading books, so that is first on the agenda. But, could you guys give me some insight on where to start, and where to pick up the pieces. I was actually thinking about starting at .5/1, and ease myself back into it, so I can get that mental click out.

Mr. Curious 09-19-2005 03:13 PM

Re: Help me to rework my game

[ QUOTE ]
I was actually thinking about starting at .5/1, and ease myself back into it, so I can get that mental click out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like you have already figured out what your next step is.

Good luck!

STLantny 09-19-2005 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was actually thinking about starting at .5/1, and ease myself back into it, so I can get that mental click out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like you have already figured out what your next step is.

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

The next step is to take a couple of weeks off, I think that is a major problem. Do you think I should start off at .5/1, or go back to the last time I knew I was playing well at (10/20 6max). I just cant understand why all of a sudden I am a tilt monster. Or if it was a process and I just didnt notice it happen.

steamboatin 09-19-2005 05:56 PM

don't decide which limit to begin until the two weeks are over.

mockingbird 09-19-2005 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this suggestion. But I think it would be better to err on the low rather than the high side.

Afterthought: Take this advice with a grain of salt since I don't have experience playing above 3/6 and a little 5/10.

Good Luck

STLantny 09-19-2005 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats great advice, as simple as it sounds, its something I would not have thought of. Thanks

autobet 09-19-2005 07:17 PM

Only play when you feel like it. If you don't feel like playing in two weeks, then wait.

You have a job, so make poker a hobby and make it fun again.