Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   i'm a lag? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=327675)

chief444 09-01-2005 03:39 PM

Re: i\'m a lag?

I don't take many notes. I rely on PT/Playerview. But 50 hands isn't real reliable. The notes I do take the time to type in though are often a specific situation such as this...or HU since some players get a little crazy in blind stealing/defense...or check/raising tendency...etc. A lot of my notes are river specific.

jskills 09-01-2005 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
River bet is bad. Check/fold

[/ QUOTE ]

River bet is bad. But so is check / folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a guy as passive as OP described?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even some passives will occasionally bluff in that spot. See it all the time at Party 2/4 ...

hobbsmann 09-01-2005 03:54 PM

The pot is pretty small so his bluffing frequency needs to be semi-high to make calling a bet profitable. Don't get me wrong I check/call with AK UI on the river a fair amount, but usually against more aggro opponents.

jskills 09-01-2005 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The pot is pretty small so his bluffing frequency needs to be semi-high to make calling a bet profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

- 50 hands doesn't give us a rock solid read
- Bluffing 1 in 6 times is not really high
- Nothing was mentioned about seeing this opponent show down a hand yet
- When you fold, you're inviting another bluff in the same situation later on, and will be faced with this same decision again - so check call this time and make decisions in the same situation later based on the outcome.

JerseyTom 09-01-2005 05:21 PM

I friggin' hate these kinds of hands (OOP with air vs LPP cold-caller)... but this is where the "real" poker is played.

I always have trouble putting cold-callers on hands; in my experience, this kind of clown could have anything from AQo to clubs to 77 to 22. The only hands I'm ruling out by the river are overpairs (JJ+) and obvious monsters (sets/boats, trip T's, two pair).

WSD = 39 seems a little high to me... I like to think I can check-call here with just A-high, since I'll occasionally do this with a made hand in an attempt to induce a bluff. If he's truly passive, he may just check-through his busted draw... I dunno, I'm rambling...

Tom

Stinkybeaver 09-01-2005 05:31 PM

Well only debateable part is the river and while you can make loads of arguments wether to check/call or bet/fold I prefer the check/call.

This way you loose the least and if your lucky you can induce a bluff from a busted draw. However chances of inducing anything from a passive is difficult.

SoSo 09-01-2005 05:35 PM

Try Checking the turn, as u have no information about what ur opp mite be holding.

If ur gonna be a proper lag c/r the turn when he bets [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

remember this is appears to be a calling station and not agressive (Not enough hands to make a gd read on tho) so u can pretty much count on him checking it down no real need to bet the turn or river.

chief444 09-01-2005 05:39 PM

If he checks it down it's usually because AK is good.

SoSo 09-01-2005 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he checks it down it's usually because AK is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your Point being?

W. Deranged 09-01-2005 05:44 PM

Please don't bet this river.

Your opponent is very rarely calling with a worse hand.

Your options are:

1. Check with the intent of calling if you think your opponent is capable of bluffing a missed draw/A high here.

2. Check with the intent of folding against a passive opponent.

Betting AK unimproved out of position on the river is one of those things that many poker authors universally recognize to be a mistake (commonly made by many players). Your hand is a very borderline hand; it's like the worst hand possible you could conceivably be betting all the way down, and hence anyone calling on the river usually has you beat.