Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   When to go all in b4 flop or flop push (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=333016)

WSOPstar2B 09-09-2005 06:16 AM

When to go all in b4 flop or flop push

Is there any kind of guideline (rough I know if one exists) as to when to go all in b4 a flop or just call then push at the flop regardless of what u have?
When my M is below 10 I usually (well actually I think ALWAYS) do the all in not the push. Would like to add to my moves.

Exitonly 09-09-2005 07:14 AM

Re: When to go all in b4 flop or flop push

well if you have 10 BB's or less, generally any move you make will be All-in preflop.. though you can add to the a Stop-N-Go.. which incase you dont know, is usually done from the blinds or UTG.. it's when you're OOP and you have no fold equity pushing over the top of a raiser... so instead of pushing over top his bet, you can just call.. then when you act first on the flop go all in.... it will get rid of some mid-low PP's that would have called PF.

Risks: You make a hand you have beat fold on the flop. (like getting AQ to fold when you have AK after a flop of 78J)
Reward: Generate some FE.

djshawk 09-09-2005 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Risks: You make a hand you have beat fold on the flop. (like getting AQ to fold when you have AK after a flop of 78J)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad example. When shortstacked and facing a raise you don't just call with AK.

WSOPstar2B 09-09-2005 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well if you have 10 BB's or less, generally any move you make will be All-in preflop.. though you can add to the a Stop-N-Go.. which incase you dont know, is usually done from the blinds or UTG.. it's when you're OOP and you have no fold equity pushing over the top of a raiser... so instead of pushing over top his bet, you can just call.. then when you act first on the flop go all in.... it will get rid of some mid-low PP's that would have called PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

So as I understand, the Stop n Go is usually done from the blinds or UTG position. Or when u feel the all in bet won't steal the pot -- if that is your main motivation for the all in.

benkahuna 09-10-2005 12:01 AM

It sounds like a way to just get all in w/ a strong hand without going all in preflop.

I sometimes get testy and pull this one on people that call and chase too much. It usually works.
With a hand like AK, you really want a shot at all 5 cards and not give up if you miss the flop... You probably know that.

I try to gauge going all in based on whether making a decent raise will put me in an annoying position. If a decent raise takes up a large portion of your chipstack (probably more than 25 percent), I prefer going all in. If I don't feel that I have proper fold equity by going less than all in, I'd also go all in. I try to do a sliding scale of sorts with an M over 5 with a stronger trend toward all in w/ an M closer to 5. I'm not very mechanical about it, I think you just have to think about what you're trying to achieve and act accordingly.

If you're going to see a flop, you probably want to react to it in most cases. Otherwise, why bother seeing the flop and give an opponent a chance to outdraw you?

I don't know about others of you, but every time I've been outflopped when I got myself committed to a hand, I've been pretty unhappy so I generally act to prevent that occurring. Make the donks make a big mistake to beat you.

WSOPstar2B 09-11-2005 10:53 PM

Bump