Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Philosophy Book Club: Ribbon Cutting (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=377904)

Scotch78 11-14-2005 12:48 AM

Philosophy Book Club: Ribbon Cutting

We are going to start with Fear and Trembling . I cut and pasted the webpages into a 73-page Word file. If anyone would like a copy of it, PM me your e-mail address or IM me at Since1978.

We will start with the preface and prelude, but no timeline. Simply post your thoughts in this thread as you read and when things feel wrapped up we'll move on to Chapter 1.

Scott

edtost 11-14-2005 01:26 AM

Re: Philosophy Book Club: Ribbon Cutting

I compressed the Word file; the ZIP is available here.

RJT 11-14-2005 02:09 PM

I read last night that SK died 11/11/1855. We decided to read him on 11/11/2005 (when Scotch confirmed in his post of 11/11 that we would go with him.) 150 years later - I think if we had any doubts on whom to read first, this anniversary is reason enough.

RJT

DougShrapnel 11-14-2005 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read last night that SK died 11/11/1855. We decided to read him on 11/11/2005 (when Scotch confirmed in his post of 11/11 that we would go with him.) 150 years later - I think if we had any doubts on whom to read first, this anniversary is reason enough.

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]I like it when a plan comes together. I am having trouble getting past the inaccurate description of the story of abraham tho.

Dan Rutter 11-15-2005 12:12 AM

For Part I of the Prelude this is what I got from Kierkkegaard's version of Abraham, and how it relates to his brief parable. Abraham is told by God to offer his son, Issac, for a burnt offering. In the process of this event, Issac learns to move his trust of his earthly father figure Abraham, to the father figure of all God. Issac learns to always trust God. One must learn to move from only trust of parental figures, and begin to trust in God.

The parable mentioned relates to this in that a child must depend on his mother for survival when life begins, but as he grows he must be able to use what nature provides him. In the parable he still is able to have a good relationship with his mother, he is just not as dependent on her. It seems with Issac and Abraham, Issac will have a strained relationship with Abraham based on how the event took place. So there is a slight difference between the story of Issac and Abraham and the parbable mentioned. Unless Issac understands afterwards the lesson to be taught, and is still able to keep the same relationship with Abraham.

mosquito 11-15-2005 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]I like it when a plan comes together. I am having trouble getting past the inaccurate description of the story of abraham tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you suppose there is a significance to the description's inaccuracy, or is it merely fluff?

DougShrapnel 11-15-2005 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you suppose there is a significance to the description's inaccuracy, or is it merely fluff?

[/ QUOTE ]I believe it is of significate importance to the story being told. There is likly nothing about the Abe story in this work that is fluff. Unfortunelty, for the author there is a much simpiler explaining of Abrahams actions. It's not as rightoues as the author would have you believe. Milgram More so it is very very dangerous. But give me some more time so I can re read this work to give it a fairer read.

Scotch78 11-15-2005 01:50 PM

Could someone who knows where in the bible to find this Abraham story please post a link to the original?

Scott

chezlaw 11-15-2005 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I compressed the Word file; the ZIP is available here.

[/ QUOTE ]

many thanks

chez

RJT 11-15-2005 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could someone who knows where in the bible to find this Abraham story please post a link to the original?

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

It is in Genesis (I don't have a Bible handy). I read it last night. The story of Abraham is quite lengthy, although the particular text with Isaac is short.