Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   How should I play when the blinds rise too fast? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=296899)

Felipe 07-20-2005 03:20 PM

How should I play when the blinds rise too fast?

Last night i was playing with some friend's friends at an 11 handed table. We were playing $1 games, because there were some noobz in the group. We started with T$2000, with blinds at 25/50. But the blinds rose each time a player was elminiated! One time, the game started with the button to my left, and before the button game around to me, the blinds rose to 100/200! I couldn't keep up. As expected, there was a table full of fish (I'm learning to NOT be a fish myself, I'm a beginning sit-n-go player. I normally a tight, limit cash game player, a different beast) My question is what adjustments should I make to my regular TAG game? Plyaers are going all-in, first hand (mostly with weak aces and other junk, T6o, J7o, Q3s), and busting out, letting another player double up (first hand). This makes the luck factor of the game really huge! And doesn't allow skill to sink in completely. About 4 or the players were quite aggressive, betting often at the flop, when A,K,or Q's hit the board. I didn't feel like challenging them, because they 'could' have legitimate hands, and I'd be spewing chips. I'd prefer to wait for a decent hand, then come over the top of them. Waiting was costing me time, and time was upping the blinds! A lot of these aggressive players won several early pots, making them big chip leaders early on, allowing them to successfully bully the table with large bets on all streets.

Plus - i'd gotten quite cold cards all night, got 2 raising hands in a 4-hour stretch.

How can I handle very aggressive players? How can I manage such rapidly increasing blinds?

Thanks in advance.
felipe

citanul 07-20-2005 03:25 PM

Re: How should I play when the blinds rise too fast?

play straightfowardly, and play more aggressively to steal blinds when the blinds get large.

citanul

Nicholasp27 07-20-2005 03:32 PM

be first in the pot

they can't have that many good hands...they prolly won't call except with a decent hand, so if u are first in pot, you should steal the blinds a high % of the time

bluefeet 07-20-2005 03:34 PM

funny, i play in an identical home game with some geniune friends. being the 'experienced' player of the group...boy was i gonna show these guys a thing or two. problem: these chaps play 7 minute blinds (in a home game for crying out loud!). gets a few games in before a wife kicks us out. well my STT strategy is out the window. the first few weeks, i just sat there waiting for 'thee' hand (can't 'steal' from someone who doesn't fold [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )...just doesn't happen that often.

can't beat'm? join'm!

all in fun. beers, food, bad jokes, and a ballgame on tv. not the time or place where i need to be a 'poker player'.

Felipe 07-20-2005 04:52 PM

can't beat'm? join'm!

all in fun. beers, food, bad jokes, and a ballgame on tv. not the time or place where i need to be a 'poker player'.

Hmmmmmmm. This got me thinking. I've been getting into NL from limit, and trying my best to kick ass, and I forgot about mixing in some fun with the seriousness.